Wierd sensation...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Nearly messed myself this afternoon.
Reversing into a parking bay at mums, There is a metal pole 'fence' at the back of the bays I'm reversing towards. Theres a car in the next bay. I'm getting toward the back of the bay...and near the metal pole, start braking.....and suddenly realise , Jesus, I'm not stopping, I'm still going backwards, I pressed the brake to the point I'm virtually standing on it...but I'm still going backwards, fcuk, I'm going to hit the pole at the back.

And then I realised, the car that was in the next bay was pulling out. I HAD stopped but my brain was confused by that car moving forward, giving me the sensation I was moving backwards.

It really addled my brain for a few seconds ...

screenman

Legendary Member
Sit on a chair right foot hanging loose and turn it clockwise, now weigh the number 6 in the air with your right hand, what happens.

Reactions: gbb

roley poley

Über Member
Done that on a train looking out the window at the carriages on the other track and thought we were pulling out the station in the wrong direction had a little flap till I saw the platform wasn't moving out the opposite window ...glad you had no witnesses unlike silly me :blush:

Reversing into a parking bay at mums, There is a metal pole 'fence' at the back of the bays I'm reversing towards. Theres a car in the next bay. I'm getting toward the back of the bay...and near the metal pole, start braking.....and suddenly realise , Jesus, I'm not stopping, I'm still going backwards, I pressed the brake to the point I'm virtually standing on it...but I'm still going backwards, fcuk, I'm going to hit the pole at the back.

And then I realised, the car that was in the next bay was pulling out. I HAD stopped but my brain was confused by that car moving forward, giving me the sensation I was moving backwards.

When I used to commute by train, I sometimes experienced this sensation when the train on the adjacent track moved off, whilst my train remained stationary.

Zimbob

Über Member

Ha, I had the exact same thing about a year back, foot rammed to the floor, yanked the handbrake nearly through the roof :blush: As you say, a really strange one... I was hoping no-one noticed me panicking flapping around in a completely stationary car....

Reactions: gbb
The back road from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem ( Burma Road) has a section where if you stop and let the car roll, it appears to roll uphill. The rock strata has a tilt that is just right to confuse the brain.
You get this illusion on various "gravity roads" inc a couple in England and Scotland..

Last edited:

carlosfandangus

Über Member
The back road from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem ( Burma Road) has a section where if you stop and let the car roll, it appears to roll uphill. The rock strata has a tilt that is just right to confuse the brain.
You get this illusion on various "gravity roads" inc a couple in England and Scotland..

We have one in the Isle of Man, called "magnetic hill" its at the top of a very long steep climb, you get to the top of the climb and need to keep pedaling going downhill!!

roley poley

Über Member
cutting the hairs that come out the tops of my old ears in the mirror ...left is right and right is left ...up and down works.... strangely still the same even if I rest the mirror on its side ????

winjim

Smash the cistern
This is why I consider it bad manners to begin a manoeuvre before the driver adjacent to me has finished theirs. What if you'd pulled out to straighten up* or something?

*not casting aspersions on your bay parking skills...

Top Bottom