Wife's first road bike...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Goobs

Veteran
She originally was looking to get the Cannondale Synapse 105 Womens disc but after reading reviews on the brakes and wheels plus the fact we are fair weathered cyclists decided against a disc road bike.
Now looking at the following and open to any other suggestions that are women specific design, full 105 groupset, carbon forks (prefer not full carbon frame) and drop bars.
GIANT AVAIL 1 2015
[URL='http://www.leisurewheels.co.uk/m10b0s134p11662/FELT-ZW85-2014']FELT ZW85 2014
[/URL]
[URL='http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s134p6317/SCOTT-CONTESSA-SPEEDSTER-15-2015']SCOTT CONTESSA SPEEDSTER 15 2015 [/URL]
They are all around £730 to £850 but we originally budgeted for up to £1k.

Does anyone have an opinion on these 3 ? If a bike came along similar to the Cannondale and with better disc brakes in budget that would be of interest too.

vickster

Legendary Member
They'll all be much of a muchness spec wise so she'd be best to test ride all and see which works best for her

Giant have put discs on some of their roadbikes recently so might be worth checking the ranges

Yazzoo

Not meaning to throw a spanner in the works but has your wife tried women's specific geometry? It's not for everyone, particularly tall women.

That said I am 5'4 and ride a 'mens/unisex' small bike as I do not fit with women specific geometry as I have long arms. If she can ride a unisex/mens frame you may also find she has more choice in bikes.

If she does suit WS then I'd look at the Liv range from Giant - I've not ridden any myself but I've seen some in my local store lately and they look very nice considering women's bikes usually look like an after thought by most manufacturers!

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm a tall woman with long legs and shorter reach. I get round it with a unisex frame with narrower bars and a shorter stem

I have had a wsd road bike (2012 Avail 2) but sold it to find a steel build with SRAM group set and shifters. I don't get on with shimano, hence crucial to have test rides

OP
OP
G

Goobs

Veteran
They'll all be much of a muchness spec wise so she'd be best to test ride all and see which works best for her

Giant have put discs on some of their roadbikes recently so might be worth checking the ranges
Hi Vickster

We looked at Giant and the 105 disc is £1649 so out of budget. The Avail 1 (Liv) is also Alu frame instead of carbon.

Struggling to find a Felt dealer in Yorkshire yet I have seen cyclists riding them around so presume they got them from Evans when they sold them still.

She had a go on my Defy 1 and loved it but wants a WSD - so what she wants...

I noticed they are bring out a Defy 1 with discs but don't know when.

vickster

Legendary Member
New models normally in the shops around September

Have you (I.e) she looked at cube, forme, lapierre for something different

I think most felts must be bought online from wiggle or merlin. I think my LBS has Felt but a way from Yorkshire

mustang1

Legendary Member
Just wondering what you didn't like about the disk brakes?

Top Bottom