Wifey-- New to spd`s--Pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

koro

Hi,

Today I managed to convince my wife to give the spd`s a go on her Spesh Allez Ellite..

Fitted the cleats for her, after a few moments :troll: she kinda grasped the idea from the start, Sent her out for a quick blast, came back saying that she had a pain on the inside of both knees. I guess this means a adjustment to the cleats.

I know it is trial and error, but is there a rule of thumb as to where the pain in the knee translates to a movement of the cleat, ie in out side to side?

As I say she has a pain in both knees on the inside, I need to make an adjustment, could someone tell me please which way to go with her cleats?

Many Thanks

Steve H

Large Member
Try having a look at this fitting advice (or there are plenty more if you google for it)...

http://www.bikemagic.com/maintenance/fitting-spd-cleats/7004.html

There are a few things to consider:

The height of the saddle (but presumably the saddle is the same height as it was prior to you fitting the new pedals), but it might be worth checking anyway.

The cleats may not be straight, leading to either a 'pigeon-toe' style or a more splayed out style of pedalling.

Also find the right place under her foot where she likes it to be on the pedal.

It should only take a few small adjustments before you find a comfortable and pain-free position.

OP
OP
koro

koro

Thanks for your replies, I have read all the guides, and pretty much fitted as instructed, its just the small adjustments that need to be made...I dont want to be constantly trying to get lucky with making the right adjustment (now she has taken the plunge with spd`s I dont want her to be put off with knee pain). I was kind of hoping that a pain in the inside of both knees would give a clue as to which way to make the small adj on the cleats.

Cheers

KevinG

Lateral - in anatomy, the side of the body or a body part that is farther from the middle or centre of the body.

Typically, lateral refers to the outer side of the body part, but it is also used to refer to the side of a body part. For example, when referring to the knee, lateral refers to the side of the knee farthest from the opposite knee. The opposite of lateral is medial.

So yes, I believe you are correct.

OP
OP
koro

koro

KevinG said:
Lateral - in anatomy, the side of the body or a body part that is farther from the middle or centre of the body.

Typically, lateral refers to the outer side of the body part, but it is also used to refer to the side of a body part. For example, when referring to the knee, lateral refers to the side of the knee farthest from the opposite knee. The opposite of lateral is medial.

So yes, I believe you are correct.

Lol,,,thanks for that.

Cheers

KevinG

:wahhey:

I quite like this guide

cleatposdiag1-500-90-500-70.jpg

cleatposdiag2-500-90-500-70.jpg

The full link part1 & part2

Hont

Guru
I used to get knee pain when I used SPDs. I found the solution was to move the cleat back as far as it would go (i.e. towards the heel of the shoe). Well worth a try if it's not already in this position.

Top Bottom