Wifi boosters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Are they any good ? Ive just picked up a wifi cctv system really cheap and want it in my workshop but my wifi signal only goes half way down the garden .

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
They work - we had a powerline booster - so internet down the power cables to a wifi booster. Since replaced that with a Mesh system.

Our CCTV uses Cat 5 so the powerline adapter is still used, but with the wifi turned off - the CCTV plugs into the booster via cat 5, then signal down the power cables.

Mesh is great but a bit expensive.

fossyant

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/anyone-know-anything-about-wifi-routers.263775/

I asked the same question not long ago. A couple of guys gave excellent answers. Think they know their stuff!

I bought the three box mesh suggested. Cost IRO £65.

Easy to set up....even a techie numpty like me managed. Work very well.

As another advert says - they do what it says on the tin. Seems a small price to pay for a big improvement.

That's a good price.

My BT system has the router and two disks and I get coverage all over my garden and right out to the summer house. No 'switching' of networks, which was the big advantage as wifi extenders need you to 'connect' to the nearest extender on your computer, no such thing with Mesh.

The mesh, or at least the way I set mine up,creates a parallel wifi system. Separate name, password etc.
Effectively I just plugged it into my existing router and used the app from Tenda and everything was done for me. I expected a couple of hours of frustration with digital stuff that I know nowt about. Took about 10 minutes.

dodgy

I’m using mesh as of about a month ago. I’ve worked professionally in networking and have cat5 installed about the house but mesh has pleasantly surprised me. I also have power line but don’t rate the kit I have and mesh easily outperforms it.
tp-link deco m4 is the mesh kit I’m using and I’ve only seen the need to use 2 of the 3 units supplied in the kit [4 bed detached house].

Yet I've had good results with powerline. At one house-sit, we often use the summer house, with a PLA at the router and another in the summer house. To broadcast from there, a Cat5 jumper from the PLA into an old Netgear/Virgin router, and bingo.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
I added a couple of security cameras to our NAS, connected using powerline adapters in the loft. This caused huge problems with our broadband connection, which stopped when the adaptors were removed (and replaced by a POE switch). Powerline adaptors can emit and also be susceptible to RF - when they work ok, they're great, but troubleshooting problems can be a pain. I gave mine to a friend to connect up his workshop - he had no problems with them at all.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Power line at currys was £120 . £10 more than i got the £450 discounted set up for . Never heard of mesh or have any idea what im doing to be honest . I just want it to work .

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I bought the mesh booster suggested and although my mobile phone is picking it up the thisrd camera in the workshop isnt . If i bring the camera down to the house it works . It seems the camera isnt recognizing the mesh wifi is the same as my home wifi :unsure:

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Ok , done a test by walking up the garden with the camera and mesh box and they are connected but it only reaches half way down the garden . So what are my options in getting wifi into the workshop ? I dont mind running wires if i need to .

fossyant

Ok , done a test by walking up the garden with the camera and mesh box and they are connected but it only reaches half way down the garden . So what are my options in getting wifi into the workshop ? I dont mind running wires if i need to .

Another mesh disc to act as a relay part way, or a long network cable.

I have the main hub in one corner of the lounge near front garden, one disc in other side of lounge near rear garden, and another disc in the rear garden side of the garage. Thats enough to relay the signal our to the other side of the garage into the side garden where the shed/summer house is.

I recon I'd need a 50m cat cable to get out to the shed.

If you have power to the shed, a powerline network adapter would do it. I use one for the CCTV which isnt wifi.

Top Bottom