Wiggins Rouen 19inch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kcyclist

Regular
Looking for a starter road bike for my son approximately 155cm tall.
Wiggins rouen 48cm frame available at Halfords.
Does anyone know the approximate height range for this bike?

Cheers

vickster

Legendary Member
Looking for a starter road bike for my son approximately 155cm tall.
Wiggins rouen 48cm frame available at Halfords.
Does anyone know the approximate height range for this bike?

Cheers
Which specific model is that (Halfords sizing is in inches/by wheelsize)? There is a clear sizing guide provided

Is he still growing? If so bear in mind

A quick Google throws up THIS article about the Rouen, and quotes;

"Both 700c models are available to purchase in 43cm or 48cm frame sizes. The 43cm frame is sized for riders of height 145cm - 150cm (4' 8" - 4' 11") and aged approximately 11 years and over. The 48cm frame 700c is designed for taller riders, 165 - 170cm (5' 5" - 5' 7"), and will be a last junior bike before progressing onto adult road bikes."

155cm makes him too tall for the 43 but too small for the 48, (according to the above anyway). Best to get him to Halfords to sit on it and see what's what IMO.

Hope that helps :okay:

So that's the 48cm then. At the end of the day size wise it's your only option on this bike as the 43 is obviously too small.

Availability might be an issue to consider, (bike stocks are being depleted rapidly from all accounts), but if they have stock and you decide to bite the bullet, and then you find out it's not right for any reason, you'll be covered by distance selling regs anyway won't you?

Wiggins bike are measured by the seat tube. The 48cm has a 52cm theoretical top tube, as @DCLane says this is an XS in adult bike sizing. I ride this one and I am 5ft 7 with 29 inch leg. I have about 200mm of the 350mm seat post showing, the bars are a few cm lower than the seat but not too aggressive.

It comes with 70mm stem and narrow 36cm centre to centre bars. If you need a longer stem then it’s with upgrading the handlebars so they will take a 31.8mm stem as they are narrow 26mm ones which limits choice of stems.

Last edited:
And to put it in perspective at the other end, I ride a Rouen with a 15 inch (38 cm) frame and I'm 4ft 11 with a 27 inch inside leg.

The 43 cm frame is much too big for me.

I think it's best to go try and see what fits.

OP
OP
K

Kcyclist

Regular
Yeah thinking try before you buy would be the best option. Will need to wait a few more weeks then, best he sure.
Thanks all for the advice 👍

knatch22

Just took the plunge and bough a 19" Rouen for my daughter based on the info from all here. She is just 150cm (on a good day). With the saddle at the lowest point she can tocuh the ground and ride the bike safely. My son is ~146cm and cant touch the ground! Really impressed with the bike so far, have come from an Ilsa Luath 24" - prefer the Wiggins. Never been a Halfords fan but now have 2 great bikes form there (other is a kids Voodo Nzumbi). Hope that helps some others.

@knatch22 welcome to the club! I’m after a new bottle cage for my Rouen and don’t know if I should go red or white? Blue looks a bit naff on the 2017 version.

Just took the plunge and bough a 19" Rouen for my daughter based on the info from all here. She is just 150cm (on a good day). With the saddle at the lowest point she can tocuh the ground and ride the bike safely. My son is ~146cm and cant touch the ground! Really impressed with the bike so far, have come from an Ilsa Luath 24" - prefer the Wiggins. Never been a Halfords fan but now have 2 great bikes form there (other is a kids Voodo Nzumbi). Hope that helps some others.

Welcome to the Wiggins club. :hello:

They're the bicycle version of Skoda cars - unassuming, unexpected but surprisingly good. I've had my Rouen roadie for three and a half years now and still love it as much now as I did when I took that first ride. I've also got a Chartres 26 hybrid which is my do-it-all bike. :blush:

Top Bottom