Wiggle/Basso Warranty - Awful

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ajb27790

Hi All,
I am just posting to warn you of Wiggle's terrible warranty help. I purchased a Basso Devil 2012 from them in January 2013, and have since then ridden around 200 miles on it. I was cycling to work this morning when I heard a horrible creaking and looked down to see the rear mech hanger had snapped clean off, rendering my frame useless as the mech hanger is part of the bike. I emailed Wiggle this morning with pictures of the incident, as well as an explanation of what happened.
8 hours later I received the reply
"I am sorry for the inconvenience as I'm afraid that this will not be covered under warranty as the mech hanger would have failed due to the gears not being correctly set up or the derailleur was slightly bent"
Firstly, I fail to see how I could have bent the derailleur in c200 miles of leisurely cycling around the Worcestershire countryside, and secondly, the gears were set up when the bike arrived and I have not tinkered with them at all!
Has anyone else had similar experiences with Wiggle? Any advice/opinions welcome
Alex

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You've had the bike over 12 months and done only 200 miles. Blimey, I do that in a week !

I am afraid you could easily have knocked the mech whilst it's been 'stored' (it's not been ridden).

Not really a warrenty issue at all - it's over 12 months old as well. New hangers aren't expensive. What's to say you've mis-shifted and haven't checked the rear mech limit screws and shifted into the wheel. Poor maintenance/checking regime.

djb1971

Legendary Member
In defense of Wiggle, I had a faulty saddle and they replaced it immediately on my new bike. I wouldn't expect it to be replaced 12 months down the line after using it.

mk6golf

I have found wiggle to be very good. When my bike arrived, there were a few bits missing in the box.... Pedal spanner, multitool, spare inner tube. I had these delivered the next day ON A SATURDAY!

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I've only made a warranty claim once from Wiggle, for a pump that I broke by using it incorrectly after having it for a couple of years. Well I say a warranty claim, I contacted them to see if I could get it repaired, expecting to be quoted a charge. but they repaired it free of charge no questions asked.

jessculter

Wiggle are poor.

I bought a 'ready to ride' bike from them in November. Nothing but problems with it and awaiting a service after 50 miles

Funny how my giant, 2 years old and cannondale , 1 year old, bought from Paul's cycles have had no such problems.

They did reply to my email apologising but that didn't help the bike.

uclown2002

Guru
Wiggle are poor.

I bought a 'ready to ride' bike from them in November. Nothing but problems with it and awaiting a service after 50 miles

Funny how my giant, 2 years old and cannondale , 1 year old, bought from Paul's cycles have had no such problems.

They did reply to my email apologising but that didn't help the bike.

C'mon then I'll bite; what is wrong with it?

MikeG

Guru
Welcome to the forum, Alex.

Forgive me if I am a little suspicious of someone's first post being a whinge about a supplier, and particularly because you posted on Thursday last week, then haven't returned to the forum. Did the conversation with Wiggle go something like "If you don't replace this part FOC I'll make a big fuss on an internet forum"?

The bike is outside its warranty period. What do you expect any supplier to do in those circumstances?

Last edited:

simgsxr

Bought a Focus Cayo Shimano 105 in 2009, 1 month out of warranty & quite a few miles later the left hand shifter died. Emailed Wiggle to see if there was anything they could do as it was only 1 month & they contacted Shimano, not expecting anything, they sent a new left shifter foc. Similar service with any other problems! Great service for the last 5 years.

Top Bottom