Wiggle Flat Out In The Fens 77 mile Route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aerobrain

Über Member
Hi

I've somehow let myself be talked into doing this event on Sunday. Currently about a month into training for Ride London and convinced myself this would be good to see how I'm getting on and to experience riding amongst groups. I'm doing about 90-95 miles a week at the moment with my long ride being 50 miles at around 17-17.5mph with some hills so hoping with this being flat (and praying it's not blowing a gale!!) the distance increase should(!?!?!?!) be OK.

Anyone got any tips or anyone who's done the ride before got any comments about the organisation, signage etc?

Cheers

Lee

boybiker

Guru
You will be fine. Just make sure you keep on top of your eating and drinking during the ride :biggrin:

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
With he mileage your doing you will be fine.

The fens are open to the wind so it might be worth getting used to riding on the drops and tucking up small if you dont do this already. Cus there will be a headwind, in whichever direction you are going.

OP
OP
aerobrain

aerobrain

Über Member
Yeah I do need to do some more riding on the drops, I tend to do pretty much the whole ride on the hoods at the moment. Fuelling will be interesting as so far all I've needed for the 50 mile rides is a banana and half a water bottle but from my running days I know that if I stick to that I'll just blow up if I go much further. Will probably add a few gels and maybe have my second bottle as an energy drink.

Bike's got it's first service Saturday so hopefully it should be rolling along nicely :-)

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
You can get a pretty decent tuck staying on the hoods and bending your elbows, I find that more comfy. But when there is a headwind into a 6 mile straight with nowhere to hide you`ll want all the eficiency you can get...or a chubby bugger* up front to hide behind.

*This chubby bugger isnt doing it this year. Personally, I think the fens is a ride that doesnt really warrent doing every year, perhaps every 3 or 4. Possibly THE most boring sportive in the uk. After you have seen the first 10 turnip farms, the rest all look similar!

Top Bottom