England : Rutland Wiggle Rut 2012 - 27th October

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Im thinking of doing it, i think it would be my 6th sporrive this year. Would be nice if good weather could be arranged.

Would only be the 72milers for me.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
If I do it it'd be the 102-miler. But then I'm a glutton for punishment - by then I'll have done 10 events plus some touring :wacko: with at least one more in November.

Next year will see less events, but harder ones - plus my first sojourn into triathlons.

You must do it [not that I would though :smile:] and you can then give a non biased report on what Rutland is like. Hopefully I will be back riding again by then and I will pop along and say hello. If the course follows the usual sportive route watch out for The Rutland Ripple as we affectionately call it, but it is a cracking route.
Alternatively you could just come on one of my forum rides and ride for free.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You must do it [not that I would though :smile:] and you can then give a non biased report on what Rutland is like. Hopefully I will be back riding again by then and I will pop along and say hello. If the course follows the usual sportive route watch out for The Rutland Ripple as we affectionately call it, but it is a cracking route.
I was going to suggest that, but you beat me to it! :thumbsup:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Is it flat or hilly? 6 hour finishing time for the 102 they count as Gold in their rider standard certificate thing. This is completely meaningless in the grand scheme of things, I am just curious!

CBA to sign up, just to get at the gpx!

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Is it flat or hilly? 6 hour finishing time for the 102 they count as Gold in their rider standard certificate thing. This is completely meaningless in the grand scheme of things, I am just curious!

Pretty flat; from the route profile:

101.9 miles, 1808m ascent. Peak: 209m, Lowest: 14m

72.2 miles, 1287m ascent. Peak: 191m, Lowest 44m

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

If I enter I'll give a report - although I'm a local really, having grown up south of Nottingham :thumbsup: . I do like their organisation, particularly compared to the Etape Pennines organisers.

When's the next forum ride there btw?

Hopefully in early November but this will be a pootle, no pretend racing involved, however dr_pink would be more than happy to do a "slightly" quicker ride in the Spring with me hanging off the back. Date of the November one tbc by the weekend and I will post it on informal rides. We have a great bunch of regulars plus a few who travel a fair way to come and ride Rutland - a special thanks to those - you know who you are :thumbsup:.
I had to get in quick Colin or I knew you would have the answer before me.

PaulSecteur

Last day to sign up for this... I just did, for the 72 miler. Not sure how well I will do as I havent really been out for a decent ride for a while, although I do get at least 35miles a week through going to the gym.

Hmmm... 35 miles over a week to 72 in one go, someone will have sore legs at work on Monday!

Get yer themals on, its going to be nippy round the lug `oles!
A nice description of Rutland and the route on British Cycling. Good luck tomorrow, the little hill out of Launde Abbey is steep but tomorrow you will have the wind behind you for it. Enjoy our little county and if you see anyone on a blue Pearson that will be me, don't know of anyone else in these parts that rides fixed.

PaulSecteur

Well Leicestershire, how did you manage to get a headwind in EVERY direction? And one so cold too!

It was a bit lumpier than expected, but the views were well worth the climbs.

I had some bits of branchesblown into my rear wheelat about half way. The wheel is OK, but the cage with the jockey wheels is no longer spring loaded, so it dont take up the slack when in a small rear cog. Once it settles into a gear I tended to leave it and just use the front mech where possible.

Made it an interesting ride. I did the 72 miles in one go with the exception of 2 mins to give somenone a tube, and twice to get off and jiggle (read "swear at") the rear mech, so Im counting that as non-stop!

Top Bottom