Wiggo strange tour build up?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Freewheel

Hi
I have been watching Wiggo and his season result with interest. The prologue win in the Giro looked like he was on target. His later poor showing i thought looked slightly strange for a tour contender (but was he holding back for later tour form? maybe).
It strikes me that some modern tour contenders seem quite happy to work on the "all eggs in one basket" system, no need for a showing now i am holding back my form seems the rule.
Yesterday could be nerves or a seasons form building that has back fired, what do you think ?
(this is NOT the start of a Wiggo bashing thread, anyone can have a bad day)
Also does SKY coverage seem slighty off when reporting on the SKY team? poor results seem to be brushed away when its a SKY rider. Maybe Harmon and Kelly working for the same company reduces their opinion on some riders.

raindog

er.....
I don't think he was having a bad day, he rode through a downpour, and no way was he going to compromise his Tour by coming off on a corner. Martin and the last riders had it comparatively dry. Just bad luck that's all.

OP
OP
F

Freewheel

Yes the weather was bad, but the time seemed so far off.
I guess time will tell and if he stays with the leaders on the large climbs when they start my concerns will be unfounded.

raindog

er.....
Freewheel said:
I guess time will tell and if he stays with the leaders on the large climbs when they start my concerns will be unfounded.
I find it difficult to believe he'll be able to do that though. But as you say, time will tell.

Paul_L

Über Member
Wiggins has a really hard job to make top 5 in the GC now IMO.

He's lost time on all of the GC contenders apart from the Schlecks, who i think can both make up the time in the hills. He's gonna be a watched man who will not be allowed to move without a response. He needs to hope there's some time gaps in the flat stages.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Bad luck = in this case very bad judgement. for a team espousing marginal 'edges' and attention to detail not to get a decent weather forecast... well... it's very British.

OP
OP
F

Freewheel

I'm thinking now has Sky and its total reliance on number counting and percentage gains taken the heart/impulse riding out of the team.
Would Brad have tried harder given his own choice? are the riders just over instructed with a no gamble policy in place, if so makes for boring viewing:sad: what happened to "nothing ventured nothing gained".
The team seems almost frightened to make any errors and so perhaps their results will become less.

GregCollins said:
Bad luck = in this case very bad judgement. for a team espousing marginal 'edges' and attention to detail not to get a decent weather forecast... well... it's very British.
It happens in F1 too and you can bet your house that they have very expensive weather forecasting. Second guessing the weather, especially from 24 hours away is only going to lead to sadness. Mind you, had it worked out then Wiggy could well be sitting in yellow and we'd all be saying how smart the Sky beancounters were.

I think he's going to struggle to make Top 5 though, not just because of yesterday.

Paul_L

Über Member
Chuffy said:
It happens in F1 too and you can bet your house that they have very expensive weather forecasting. Second guessing the weather, especially from 24 hours away is only going to lead to sadness. Mind you, had it worked out then Wiggy could well be sitting in yellow and we'd all be saying how smart the Sky beancounters were.

I think he's going to struggle to make Top 5 though, not just because of yesterday.

Yeah i'd agree with that. The only top 3 rider from last year i can see BW over-coming is Armstrong. I suspect Baso, Frank Schleck and Evans could all push him out of the top 5.

Top Bottom