Wiggy nerves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well, not him as such. Me.
I want him to at least get on the podium so much that I can hardly bear the suspense. I keep thinking up scenarios where he nicks enough time off Bertie to win overall and I'm dreading the possibility of him cracking in the mountains. Fingernails are being chewed...

GO WIGGY! :angry:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Here's something we can all agree on, I hope. Couldn't happen to a nicer bloke too.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I don't want to be over-confident either but I can't see anyone apart from AC and A Schleck who is can drop him substantially and he's got a good TT to come. It's all good Chuffy, relax and enjoy!:angry:

My fingers are firmly crossed, though!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I hope so. What's the view on Annecy and how that'll suit Wiggins/Armstrong/Schleck? Does it suit Wiggins at all? Would he likely take enough out of Andy Schleck v three mountain stages he might lose a bit of time even with more great performances?

Bigtwin

It's exciting stuff, but I think it's a bit too soon for Wiggo.

He's only just dropped the weight off to really become a climber of real world class. But give him another 12 months to really train and focus on his new way of riding, and the next TDF could really be on for him.

yello

Some pundits here going for Contador, A Schleck, Armstrong... I can only assume they think Wiggins will fade up Ventoux.

There's an absolutely brilliant interview with him here after yesterday's stage.... talk about Mr Nonchalant! :bravo:

Will1985

Über Member
Wiggo is becoming a roadie legend - must be the 50% Australian in him.

His quip at the CTT yesterday was brilliant (for those not aware, he was DQd for using a Zipp 1080 at Levens last month after finishing with an 18:00).
Loved the "Wiggo's in his element" line as well.

He's certainly got the upper hand in the TT against Schleck, so it'll be a matter of making sure he doesn't lose too much time in the mountains.

It would be great if he could get a podium place, but not sure - top 5 maybe, top 10 pretty certainly I think.

The first two weeks have been fairly easy, nobody's been attacking all that hard because it would have been too difficult to actually gain any real time - largely flat stages for the sprinters or breakaways.

The only time gains were in the prologue, that split on stage 3, Arcalis and yesterday to Verbiers - and neither of those two summit finishes was exactly a major climb, both pretty short, no major time gains by anyone.

We'll have to see what Wiggins can do given some proper mountains.

But then again both the next two days, whilst they do have proper mountains, don't have summit finishes and there's a long downhill for anyone dropped on the climbs to catch back on, so again they have potential to be bunch snoozefests where no-one wants to make a move.

Same with stage 19, so basically I think it all hinges, like lots of people said when the route originally came out, on the Annecy ITT and Ventoux
- have to see what Wiggins can do on both of these, with 3 weeks of mileage in his legs

I guess the worry is if Astana plus Saxo decide to work him over for Armstrong and Andy Schleck.

I don't think Kloden will mess-up - I think he'll be messed-up by being forced to work for Lance...

Will1985 said:
His quip at the CTT yesterday was brilliant (for those not aware, he was DQd for using a Zipp 1080 at Levens last month after finishing with an 18:00).

Yes, that was on the ITV4 coverage I wondered how many people watching knew what he was on about.

Certainly the Dynamic Duo Phil & Paul made no comment about it - either decided it was too arcane to bother explaining, or maybe the two of them didn't understand it either ! :bravo:

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
andy_wrx said:
Yes, that was on the ITV4 coverage I wondered how many people watching knew what he was on about.
I raised an eyebrow but I didn't get the CTT reference.

I'm not sure (yet) that he can attack in the mountains and do enough to take a GT by the scruff. Plus, Bertie can TT pretty well. Take Bertie out and I reckon a future Schleck/Wiggy scrap would be pretty even.

onthe_road

Very cagey interview. I think he's feeling the pressure.
As it stands, I can see him finishing 2nd.
BTW LA's interview in the same block is quite sad. It looks like deep inside he sees the podium finish slipping.

Skip Madness

I would like for Wiggins to do well in the forthcoming mountain stages, and I think tomorrow's stage won't present a major difficulty. But the stage to Le Grand Bornand will likely see him losing a minimum of one minute, closer to two or three, and I see Ventoux being similar. The time trial around Lake Annecy will be well suited for him - possibly a stage win, although Bert Grabsch, Sebastian Lang, Cadel Evans and Fabian Cancellara may pip him (particularly Grabsch). I see him taking back 30 seconds to a minute on Contador there, though, and more on the Schlecks and Sastre (Sastre won't contend for yellow but could ride himself into podium contention in a couple of days' time).

yello

onthe_road said:
BTW LA's interview in the same block is quite sad. It looks like deep inside he sees the podium finish slipping.

I thought that. It really was very un-Lance. Is it possible that he really did think he could win and yesterday was a genuine smack in the face/eye opener for him?

He was seriously knackered when he crossed the line. Not saying others weren't (except seemingly Contador!) but I get the impression he really wasn't expecting it. Credit it too him though, there seemed no anger and genuine humility - something I thought I'd never see!

Top Bottom