Wight Riviera Sportive 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

James D

Hi All,

Is anyone entering this? I'm doing the 154km route

http://www.southernsportive.com/index.php

It's my first sportive so hopefully it will go well, have built up training to a max distance of 83 miles so think with the adrenaline on the day that should take me over the line. I've also sorted out hydration and settled on some energy bars that seem to work for me.

Fingers crossed the weather is good, as would be a bit miserable doing it in the rain...

2PedalsTez

Über Member
This looks like an excellent ride and a bit different to the normal sportives. Sadly I am working otherwise I'd jump at this one (maybe next year). Your miles will get you through no problem. Good luck and I hope the weather is good.

OP
OP
James D

James D

Cheers - yes am looking forward to it. Like the idea of the mass start rather than setting off in small groups.

OP
OP
James D

James D

Well I survived!! :wahhey:It was a testing 154km course which included 2219m of climbing, really sapped the energy from my legs especially with a gusting wind up to about 20mph on the coastal sections...I never realized that the IOW was so hilly!

Anyway I did it in 6.31.37, or approx 7 hours inc drink/toilet stops. Had a great time and am already looking to enter some more sportives in the next few months. Although maybe with slightly less climbing!! :whistle:

2PedalsTez

Über Member
Well I survived!! :wahhey:It was a testing 154km course which included 2219m of climbing, really sapped the energy from my legs especially with a gusting wind up to about 20mph on the coastal sections...I never realized that the IOW was so hilly!

Anyway I did it in 6.31.37, or approx 7 hours inc drink/toilet stops. Had a great time and am already looking to enter some more sportives in the next few months. Although maybe with slightly less climbing!! :whistle:

Well done! I know those hills all too well (being an ex-islander). I do like to visit the IoW once or twice a year and follow the 'round island' route with a few tweeks from personal knowledge.

If you want an 'easier on the legs' sportive, I'd recommend the New Forest one, which is run in the Spring and Autumn. A lot less climbing, but lovely ride (well, if the weather is good!)

OP
OP
James D

James D

Cheers 2PedalsTez, it was a really good ride and the weather wasn't too bad apart from the wind the IOW seems lovely (and the pubs are top!).
I'll have a look at the New Forest Sportive thanks for the tip....although I've already signed up for the Southern Sportive in September which (I've just checked) has the same amount of climbing as the IOW. :hyper: Joy unconfined.

Top Bottom