Wild Edric

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Yes, shame about the weather, but hopefully it will perk up a bit for the morning.

OP
OP
PaulSecteur

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
just the 60. I failed the wyre forest stinger the other week. I was OK on the flat, but the hills finished me off. I had to wuss out and backtrak. BUT I had just gotten over the flu, Im hoping i should be ok now, I feel much better.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
just the 60. I failed the wyre forest stinger the other week. I was OK on the flat, but the hills finished me off. I had to wuss out and backtrak. BUT I had just gotten over the flu, Im hoping i should be ok now, I feel much better.

Snap same distance. Like you I did the Mercia in Motion and enjoyed the organisation. Hopefully the route looks to be over quiet roads, after watching the preview video I hope the climb up the Long Mynd isn't too muddy. I looked at that road on google maps and it was photographed in July 2009 and there was water running down parts of the road then. Our paths may cross.......enjoy!

OP
OP
PaulSecteur

PaulSecteur

WOW!

Climbs, decents... even some flat bits, but not too many,

I did the 60 miler in 4.13. Im chuffed with that considering I had to wuss out of the wyre forest stinger last week when it started going uphill. (just got over a cold)

Even more chuffed that none of the mountains broke me, except for the food stop I didnt have to take a breather stop.

Gonna sleep well tonight!

172traindriver

Legendary Member
WOW!

Climbs, decents... even some flat bits, but not too many,

I did the 60 miler in 4.13. Im chuffed with that considering I had to wuss out of the wyre forest stinger last week when it started going uphill. (just got over a cold)

Even more chuffed that none of the mountains broke me, except for the food stop I didnt have to take a breather stop.

Gonna sleep well tonight!

Paul, agreed it was a cracker but a toughie!!!. Managed a non-stop 3.44 so missed the gold standard by 5 minutes. Never mind as hills and me certainly don't bond!! But I am not complaining as I was fully aware as to what I was signing up for, totally different to the Mercia in Motion when I managed under 3 hours.

Got in with a quick group between the 2 big climbs, got my average speed back up. Skippped the feed as I did in Mercia, in the hope I could get back in with the group, most of whom stopped. Didn't make it to the top by the time they came past but it was in dribs and drabs so nothing got going again.....shame. Respect to those that did the 101 miles as the last climb looked even more severe on the profile. The 60 was just about right, that last 10 miles from Montgomery just seemed to either roll or go upwards, I was on my last knees.

Beautiful part of the country lovely quiet roads and I was telling the Mrs about the climb up the Long Mynd in the mist, cant wait to see the photos of riders appearing out of the mist. That was the 2nd Kilotogo event I have done and wondered what you think of them? Very impressed with the organisation, the lack of signing in due to the timing chip etc being sent to you prior to the event. Well signed etc, wonder what your views are?

Quite fancy Flat out in the Fens, but the logistics would entail an overnight stay as I fancy the 112 and driving to and from in a day would be difficult.

Agreed about sleeping well tonight, had a sleep when I got back to try to get the body calmed down,a 50 mile drive home wasn't the best thing either.

OP
OP
PaulSecteur

PaulSecteur

I think they are a bit pricey, but for that you do get (in my limited experience) good support, communication, turn up and ride and the chance to make your entry fee back in High5 energy gels and cakes at the feed station!

Im already signed up for the fens 112 miles, I doing it with a chap from where I used to work. It will be a different challenge, no hills, but no downhill rests either! Going to be a long, long day that one

Speaking of which, that one from long mountain was scary, specially when a Honda CR-V started reversing out of her drive as Im doing 40!

I have signed up for the peaks next weekend, but events may transpire to prevent that (Party saturday night)

So far I have only managed bronze on a wiggle event, but Im happy just being able to complete!

Congrats on that time, gold next time for sure!

I did the 60 miler as well . Really enjoyed it and as you say Paul totally different to the Stinger .Nice steady climbs and some flattish bits inbetween . Agree with 172 that the last 10 miles were lumpy and wearing . I managed a 3:57 so just snook in with a silver .

172traindriver

Legendary Member
I think they are a bit pricey, but for that you do get (in my limited experience) good support, communication, turn up and ride and the chance to make your entry fee back in High5 energy gels and cakes at the feed station!

Im already signed up for the fens 112 miles, I doing it with a chap from where I used to work. It will be a different challenge, no hills, but no downhill rests either! Going to be a long, long day that one

Speaking of which, that one from long mountain was scary, specially when a Honda CR-V started reversing out of her drive as Im doing 40!

I have signed up for the peaks next weekend, but events may transpire to prevent that (Party saturday night)

So far I have only managed bronze on a wiggle event, but Im happy just being able to complete!

Congrats on that time, gold next time for sure!

The value of the goodie bag is a fair return for the cost. Never had anything from the feed stations but that was my choice.

As I said I hope to to the Fens ride, need to try to get the Monday off work and come back on that day. Maybe our paths will cross if I enter.

Good luck if you do the Peaks ride next week, today should be a good warm up for you as the profile looks even tougher. Which distance are you doing. I did look at it, but as I don't finish work till after 3 next Saturday it would ended up a bit of a challenge getting up there and then it sold out anyway.

I had a scarey one aswell, on the fast descent off the Mynd I was on passing someone when someone decided to pull out................twitchy moment, and shout at person. Should look before just randomly pulling out.

Top Bottom