Will a campag crankset fit onto a shimano bottom bracket?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Young Un

Struggling to find a cheap shimano chainset and so I was wondering if a campagnolo chainset would fit onto a shimano square taper bottom bracket?

Cheers
Steve

Radius

SHREDDER
Why not just get one that's neither Campag or Shimano, like FSA? They fit JIS square taper...

Will1985

Über Member
Pretty sure they can. I've put Miche and Campag on UN54 before.

Steve, are you going to watch the GHS? I've been put at the turn now, marshalling and taking split times or something.

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

Will1985 said:
Pretty sure they can. I've put Miche and Campag on UN54 before.

Steve, are you going to watch the GHS? I've been put at the turn now, marshalling and taking split times or something.

Urmm not sure yet, most likely - is it september the 12th?

RedBike

A Campag chainset will go onto a Shimano chainset but it wont fit correctly. The tapers on Shimano and Campag bottom brackets are different so a Campag chainset wont go on far enough to line up correctly.

It will work fine for a bodge but it's not really recommended.

Will1985

Über Member
Square taper Campag compact chainsets are a standard 110bcd (all 5 arms are showing).

Ultra Torque compact chainsets have the 5th arm behind the crankarm which creates the "110/113 offset" pcd and needs a different chainring because the bolt goes in from the back.

Crankarm

Guru
I have a Campag Record UD triple chain set on a Shimano 73mm shell UN 54 bottom bracket on one of my bikes. It works fine. I started checking the chainset for tightness but gave up after the first few occasions as it has remained rock solid.

MartinC

Über Member
Campag (ISO) and Shimano (JIS) tapers are different. They are both 2 degree tapers that start abut 12mm wide. But ISO ones are .2mm narrower at the start (IIRC) so a JIS crank on an ISO taper will go further in than it should and and an ISO crank on a JIS taper will not go as far as it should. Whether this will make a difference will depend on the crank shoulder and whether there's not enough or too much taper in the hole. The chainline will be different too if this matters.

Best to use the right taper if you can, if not it may work fine - or not.

Top Bottom