Will a road bike really make a difference

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david k

Hi
I currently do my 40mile round trip commute on a standard Carrera Subway hybrid averaging around 17.5 miles per hour.

I am toying with the idea of getting myself a road bike but am just wondering will it really make much of a difference to my average speed, enjoyment of cycling etc etc.

I have never even riden a road bike never mind owned one so just looking for advice.

i have a subway and a road bike and it makes a massive difference
if you can average 17.5mph on a hybrid your a very very good rider IMO

Finnjävel

I wouldn't consider doing 40 miles on anything but a road bike. But my grandma routinely did 60 mile trips on an old bso in the 1950's . One-way. With a bad heart and my father sitting on the rear rack. I can't imagine she enjoyed it much, though.

I got a cube attempt this year to accompany my mtb. My commute is at its shortest only 5 miles of busy routes, and the road bike is not much faster there. But if I take the long way via some long, quiet cycle lanes there is no comparison. And it's not just the speed, I'd say the roadbike is a lot more fun and satisfying to ride on open road.

An unexpected side effect is that now I can take it easy and cruise on the mtb, rather than making every commute on it a time trial. Compared to the cube, it's not going to go fast anyway, so I can just relax and enjoy.

So, I certainly recommend getting a road bike. Don't ditch the hybrid, though.

Regarding choosing the bike make and model, I'd say get the one that looks the best to you, and maybe one you can get from your lbs, if that's important to you. Without prior road bike experience, it may be difficult to appreciate the finer differences. I know I would't notice them. I got the cube purely based on the looks and the fact that my lbs had one available. And of course after some fierce googling for reviews ;) and have been happy. I don't think I'd be crying on a bianchi on giant either.

okeydokey79

I currently do my 40mile round trip commute on a standard Carrera Subway hybrid averaging around 17.5 miles per hour.

Id be happy with them speeds on my carrera tdf :laugh: i use to ride a mountain bike and still use it but i love getting out on the tdf and clocking up some miles.

Top Bottom