Will I improve?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mortiroloboy

Uncle Phil said:
If you're passing them, there can't be much wrong with you!

Guess that's not what you meant though.

Don't judge your performance by theirs - they may have been club riders all their lives. Roadies with all the gear are notoriously vain - they'll probably have stepped up the pace when they saw you coming just to impress.

When you're out of sight, they'll relax and stop pulling their stomachs in.

:wacko:;)

anweledig

I know it feels hard at the moment - I started on a bike in February (on a Gary Fisher hybrid so not a top of the line road bike). I am 55 in a couple of weeks and have lost about 7 kilos since then. At the start I could just about manage a 5 mile circuit on the flat at about 6-7 mph, today I did a 37 mile round trip in 3 hours and on Friday aim to do a 55 mile trip round Lake Vyrynwy - not tour de france standard but quite an improvement for me. Could I suggest you keep a log of your trips so you can see your progress, it's easy to miss your own improvement as it sneaks up on you and from what you've said you seem to be moving forward.
Anyway, best of luck and keep going!

cheers
Anweledig

Cooser

Hi, I’ve recently bought myself a nice light weight hybrid and have discovered that the secret seems to be, to use those gears and keep those legs spinning faster rather than slower. Also getting saddle height correct makes a vast difference.

OP
OP
P

porridge

Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice and encouragement, it has helped me loads to improve my stamina, technique and weight loss, since the start of May ive lost a 10kg and although I find hills a real struggle still, my stamina has come on leaps and bounds.

I am glad I started in May, I think I may have quickly given up in the middle of winter, however if I can build my stamina and fitness up now then I think it will help me with the winter months.

I really am enjoying, so much so that im even thinking of buying a road bike, but I'll hold on that for a little while.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
In your OP you said that you are overweight but you also said that you have cut out bad foods, which is good. It is clear that the less weight you have to cart around, the better your cycling will be. Therefore the following glaringly obvious tip which has worked for me: only eat when you are actually hungry and gradually reduce the size of your portions. After a couple of weeks you will find that it takes less to fill your belly and the point will come when you simply cannot finish a plateful such as you used to regularly eat.

Bodhbh

Guru
I've put on nearly 10kg last couple of months with the summer good living and all. Pretty noticably slower on the bike althought yet to actually time myself on the regular routes. Think if you shift a bit more weight will make things easier.

I did over do things at one point things were not getting easier, and was constantly sore getting upstairs etc, a rest day here and there or just have an easy week might help.

OP
OP
P

porridge

Went to the doctor today regarding my stomach pain, it was diagnosed as a umbilical hernia, Im think it has been agrivated by the cycling. looks like im going to need some sort of operation to treat it, so not sure how long it will take before I can ride a bike afterwards, but in the meantime i'll keep on riding as long as I can.

Flyingfox

It can take a few months before you can conquer hills without struggling. The main thing is that you enjoy cycling, so don't worry about people overtaking you, it happens to me all the time!

OP
OP
P

porridge

Flyingfox said:
It can take a few months before you can conquer hills without struggling. The main thing is that you enjoy cycling, so don't worry about people overtaking you, it happens to me all the time!

Thanks, i'll stick in there, im actually loving it !, its given me a new lease of life.

Top Bottom