Will I improve?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

porridge

To give some bacground, I am 47 unfit and overweight, add to the fact that up until 5 years ago I used to be a fairly heavy smoker (now a non smoker).

I started commuting to work about 6 weeks ago (on and off, using an Apollo MTB) the last 3 weeks i've commuted mon-fri and at weekends i've been doing at least a 20 mile journey on a more challenging route.

My question is will I improve?, I am really struggling on hills, I feel as though I am about to have a heart attack and im huffing and puffing, I keep asking myself if its down to lung damage when I smoked, or is just being unfit?, or will I improve when I lose some weight (im 5ft 8 and weigh around 84kg) or at 47 am I too old ?.

I also have one other problem, I often find that I get a belly ache when I take water on board?, is there any reason why?.

I am enjoying cycling and really would like to take it more seriously, would love to London to Brighton or something even more challenging, but I just know I would never cope with the hills, I am also making use of my gears and have read all about cadence on here.

CJ87

Hi mate,
I'm sure there will be far more qualified people than me along with advice soon! I'm still a beginner myself and took up cycling on an old road bike to take my mind off smoking (which I'm currently trying to give up with varying degrees of success). Although I'm only 20 when I first started I struggled with a few miles but after only a month I can manage about 15 pretty easily and get up the steep hill where I live which I had to walk for the first 2 weeks. The good thing about cycling is that with a bit of effort you can see the difference in your fitness relatively quickly. I doubt you are too old either cycling is for everyone, the important thing I think is too just do what you're comfortable with and enjoy what you're doing, eventually (so I'm told :wacko:) the stamina and miles will come, fact.

Can't really help with the stomach aches although as you say it happens when you are taking on water could be something as simple as stitching, although if its a problem get it checked out.

Just my 2 cents anyway, take care,
Chris.

Don't worry, porridge! You WILL improve.

Don't expect it to be a quick, painless experience, though, cos it aint! But there are a LOT of us here who were unfit, overweight people in a previous life.

You just have to stick at it, cycle within your limits; i.e, spin (pedal quickly) as opposed to grinding (pedalling harder) on uphills.

Drink small amounts often, instead of taking on too much in one go.

If you haven't done so already, try and eat more healthily, cut out added sugars (canned drinks), stretch and drink lots of water, not just when you're cycling.

Your lungs will soon develop a decent capacity, but treat them gently.

And 47 is definitely not too old.

Tons of good advice here, so just ask away.

Good luck, and, above all, enjoy your cycling!

OP
OP
P

porridge

Dayvo said:
Don't worry, porridge! You WILL improve.

Don't expect it to be a quick, painless experience, though, cos it aint! But there are a LOT of us here who were unfit, overweight people in a previous life.

You just have to stick at it, cycle within your limits; i.e, spin (pedal quickly) as opposed to grinding (pedalling harder) on uphills.

Drink small amounts often, instead of taking on too much in one go.

If you haven't done so already, try and eat more healthily, cut out added sugars (canned drinks), stretch and drink lots of water, not just when you're cycling.

Your lungs will soon develop a decent capacity, but treat them gently.

And 47 is definitely not too old.

Tons of good advice here, so just ask away.

Good luck, and, above all, enjoy your cycling!

Thanks, I just want some reassurance that I can improve to a decent and enjoyable level, I have cut out all the bad foods, I have lots of porridge and fruit, very little fatty foods and no booze (boring I know) im losing about a kg a week.- oh and I drink lots of water.

Its just the hills, but I must admit I have improved tons and tons in the last 6-8 weeks, but I pass other cyclists riding road bikes and wearing all the gear and they seem to make it look effortless.

OP
OP
P

porridge

CJ87 said:
Hi mate,
I'm sure there will be far more qualified people than me along with advice soon! I'm still a beginner myself and took up cycling on an old road bike to take my mind off smoking (which I'm currently trying to give up with varying degrees of success). Although I'm only 20 when I first started I struggled with a few miles but after only a month I can manage about 15 pretty easily and get up the steep hill where I live which I had to walk for the first 2 weeks. The good thing about cycling is that with a bit of effort you can see the difference in your fitness relatively quickly. I doubt you are too old either cycling is for everyone, the important thing I think is too just do what you're comfortable with and enjoy what you're doing, eventually (so I'm told :wacko:) the stamina and miles will come, fact.

Can't really help with the stomach aches although as you say it happens when you are taking on water could be something as simple as stitching, although if its a problem get it checked out.

Just my 2 cents anyway, take care,
Chris.

Thanks- good advice, I have to say that even mainly lurking on here has provided lots of info and advice that has helped me improve.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Hi Porridge
I don’t want to alarm you, but have you had a lung function test, if not get yourself down to the doctors, most lightly you are just out of condition and that is nothing wrong, but seeing you were a heavy smoker it is best to have one done.

OP
OP
P

porridge

numbnuts said:
Hi Porridge
I don’t want to alarm you, but have you had a lung function test, if not get yourself down to the doctors, most lightly you are just out of condition and that is nothing wrong, but seeing you were a heavy smoker it is best to have one done.

Thanks, I haven't, and I am wondering if its anything to do with my lungs, I seem quite good on the flat and don't seem to be struggling with distance, just the dam hills where I seem to be really huffing and puffing, but I also thought I might be being alarmist and it could just be the weight and being unfit.

Seems a good idea to have the test, my only practible concern is that if its my lungs, it may affect life insurance etc (proof of lung damage) but it would confirm if its lung problems or fitness.

RedBike

You will improve naturally over time; but if you want quick and noticable results then ditch that Apollo MTB in favour of a road bike. (Or put slick tyres on your existing bike).

Oh and well done!
I'm not sure I would have the will power to ride a MTB 20 miles each morning!

------------
Who am I kidding. I struggle to motivate myself to commute 25miles on a high quality road bike (which is a lot easier!). I would never manage it on a MTB.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
porridge said:
...but I pass other cyclists riding road bikes and wearing all the gear and they seem to make it look effortless.

If you're passing them, there can't be much wrong with you!

Guess that's not what you meant though.

Don't judge your performance by theirs - they may have been club riders all their lives. Roadies with all the gear are notoriously vain - they'll probably have stepped up the pace when they saw you coming just to impress.

When you're out of sight, they'll relax and stop pulling their stomachs in.

OP
OP
P

porridge

RedBike said:
You will improve naturally over time; but if you want quick and noticable results then ditch that Apollo MTB in favour of a road bike. (Or put slick tyres on your existing bike).

Oh and well done!
I'm not sure I would have the will power to ride a MTB 20 miles each morning!

------------
Who am I kidding. I struggle to motivate myself to commute 25miles on a high quality road bike (which is a lot easier!). I would never manage it on a MTB.

Sorry I should have added, I ditched the Apollo in favour of a hybrid, instant result, reduced my commute time by 20 minutes !.

Phixion

A good bike with road tyres will increase your speed alot, fat mountain bike tyres aren't great on roads.

Don't worry mate, you will improve.

I've been out of cycling for years and I'm about to purchase a road bike so I can get fit again. I used to cycle alot as a kid with my parents and by alot I mean miles, we would go out for the entire day cycling. Overtime we all became fitter, you notice you climb hills easier.

It's a nice feeling when you climb a hill that you've been unable to do before.

In regards to your health, what you're doing now is only going to make you healthier, which will make you feel better overall.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Climbing takes time and training - and can take some time to get lot's better - much of it is training yourself to breath long and deep and slow - fast short breaths will have you not managing the hill.

You aren't 'big' by any means.... I was 90kg's 12 months ago - now about 78 and 5'9" - you'll stop the weight loss for muscle. I've been a cyclist for 22 years (since 16) - just job and stuff stopped the regular riding for a few years, until last year - you can do it - stay on here - you'll get the support !

Keeno

You will improve m8. I'm new to this game as well and have started to notice results already, I am 28 but before taking up cycling I would have considered myself to have zero fitness. Not fat but just totally out of shape.

Hills also really take the puff out of me :wacko: However a hill I used to have to stop 3 times on now only takes one stop. I would suggest making sure your bike is properly set up, for example my seat was not high enough, so one of the reasons I was stopping so often was that my knees where on fire, after adjusting the seat height I noticed a big difference.

Tynan

Veteran
what the others said

if you're finding the weekday rides a challenge I'd cut out the weekend ride, your legs only have so much performance in them, recovery is important if you're pushing yourself at any point

Top Bottom