Will most direct mount brakes do the job?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello everyone - first post so go easy on me! I am building a bike with Trek Emonda ALR frame and campy potenza kit. However, the frame requires direct mount brakes and I am finding it quite difficult to get potenza at a decent price - DM seem so much more expensive than say standard dual pivot skeleton brakes. So my question is, will any decent direct mount brakes do? I know Campy will always say a big NO.......but does it really make a big difference? I have to say that I'd like matching kit all over but I can actually get a set of chorus DM cheaper than the potenza ones - and then what about Shimano or even Miche? Any help very much appreciated folks.

si_c

Guru
I'd suggest sticking with Campag for brakes - I've not used it but I'd be wary of mixing brake levers and calipers from different manufacturers as they will use different pull rates for the brakes meaning you could end up with a spongy and poorly performing system. Shimano and SRAM are usually ok to mix for some things, but Campagnolo generally less so.

Direct mount brakes are less common than regular dual pivots so do seem to be more expensive, I recently paid ~£110 for a pair of Shimano R7000 ones, and I'd expect the Campagnolo units to have a price premium over those regardless of model.

Top Bottom