Will my tyre suffer ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
In two weeks time I am doing the London to Paris bike ride for my chosen charity. I am doing a street cycle tomorrow on a turbo trainer to raise a little more money for the cause. I have never used a TT before so haven't got the relevant training tyre and I was wondering whether it will cause any damage to my current road tyre???
I will probably be cycling for about 5 hours, so I'm hoping it shouldn't affect it too much.

gbb

Legendary Member
It may depend on how much effort you're putting in...ie will you be going like stink or just pedalling at a reasonable rate.
Heat buildup, particular tyre make and wheel pressure against the roller may or may not be a factor.

I pedal at a reasonable rate on my turbo, usually for about an hour, ive always just used what tyre i have on (usually a Gatorskin) and use a reasonably minimal pressure against the roller...never had an issue with heat build up or excess wear, no rubber dust falling off....nothing.
The only thing i do find, in my desire to use minimal wheel/roller contact pressure....you do feel a split second slip if you suddently increase cadence/effort, but i'm more than happy to accept that.
I use the turbo simply to maintain legs, not for endurance, speed training....just to try to maintain some modest fitness.

Top Bottom