Will serve their driving bans after they are released from prison

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Quite right, what is the point in banning a driver who has no access to a vehicle.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Really? How so?

Car tax, VAT on petrol, VAT on MOT, VAT insurance, VAT on repairs, VAT on hot sausage rolls sold at scandalous prices at roadside cafes, parking fines, speeding fines, VAT on funeral costs, VAT on solicitors fees, income tax & national insurance on solicitors fees & other court costs, IHT, income tax & national insurance on any annuity payments crossing income thresholds. Probably missed a few and got some wrong but regardless, depending on circumstance, banning for life should be an option.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Defining the precise date of 'release' will be difficult given sentences often wind down with home visits and curfews.

I can foresee arguments from killer drivers about when their ban starts, or more importantly, when it ends.

The Prison Service will have to liaise with the DVLA, who will in turn will have to update the criminal record.

Lots of opportunity there for administrative foul-ups, not least because none of it will be done in public.

An advantage with imposing the ban at the same time as the jail sentence is everyone can hear what's been said, and it's on the court's taped log.

I hope the minister has thought this through, but it wouldn't be the first time a populist measure has been announced without a minister doing so.

Drago

Legendary Member
Ban them for life, but still make them pay an annual "Criminality Bribe" of, say, a thousand pounds. If you've taken someone's life then why should the pain end for you after 5 years?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
All prisoners have an official date of release. It's not difficult to work out at all.

And DVLA have nothing to do with criminal records. They'd only have to update their own records and that can be done once release has occurred. Again, not a big problem - that sort of data exchange goes on every day.

The Prison Service has always been a law unto itself when it comes to releasing prisoners.

I know the DVLA has nothing to do with criminal records - that is precisely why this measure may prove difficult to administer.

I agree the 'data exchange' should work, but experience suggests otherwise.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
The Prison Service has always been a law unto itself when it comes to releasing prisoners.

I know the DVLA has nothing to do with criminal records - that is precisely why this measure may prove difficult to administer.

I agree the 'data exchange' should work, but experience suggests otherwise.

They could always run it with an overlap, so that the ban is inclusive of the sentence, i.e. 5 year sentence and 2 year driving ban turns into a 7 year driving ban instead. If they get let out early, it then becomes the drivers responsibility to sort out their own affairs and get the driving ban reduced accordingly.

Drago

Legendary Member
Ban them for life.

Murder someone with your shotgun and when released you'd never be allowed to hold a shotgun licence again, so why permit car killers to have. Driving licence?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Sadly there is little chance of life bans being utilised but the change to post release bans shouldn't present an issue. Driving licence surrendered at start of sentence and, when re-applied for, a release certificate to be supplied to demonstrate full ban has been served post release.

Top Bottom