Will soon be starting my new commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Badwolf74

:huh:Well the time is fast approaching, I currently have a 8 mile round trip to work, nice route follow the river a short spell on a A road with cycle path no hills and I'm at work. But in the next few weeks I will be moving about 10 miles from work so a daily trip of 20 miles not 8 :rolleyes: . I have done a couple of dummy runs about 50 mins door to door so far, the route is not great busy A roads some with cycle paths and a few hills some a bit steep, i quick ride through windsor great park is the highlight of my commute.

My bike GT Transeo 5.0 is well up to the task but i have to admit i might not be I have a early start for work 6.30am so a set off time of 5.30am is looming and I'm on my feet all day at work so a hour ride home up hills is a worring prospect but i will give it a go and see how things pan out.

Can some one give me advice on what type of clothing to get i currently have a old pair of shorts & t shirt but need to invest in some more suitable clobber ?

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Right now.....a pair of padded shorts and maybe a light rain jacket .

There much more you can buy, but I wouldn't until you definitely know that you're going to keep it up. if you take it up fully, then the list is endless.

- Baz -

Right now.....a pair of padded shorts and maybe a light rain jacket .

There much more you can buy, but I wouldn't until you definitely know that you're going to keep it up. if you take it up fully, then the list is endless.
Well, I've tried 'em all and spent a fortune! Padded shorts can be a blessing or a curse (they make me too hot round the meat and two veg). I prefer M&S sports 'slips' to keep everything from chafing and a pair of ordinary cycling shorts (not lycra) then change into boxers once I get to work

+1 for the rain jacket (I have the dhb Amberley from Wiggle), but I only wear it when it's on the cold side early morning and rarely when coming home, whatever the weather. I have yet to commute in the depths of winter, however...

I think you have to be prepared to experiment a bit - which can be costly, but it's the only way to find what works for you.

I always found doing lesser miles more of a pain than distance. I assume you only really did your 4 miles in the drier days?

No need to spend a huge amount - preference is best of all, if you have something that is cheap and it works, don't let anyone tell you any different.

Don't wear too much, it's easy to get hot. A little bit of surface water isn't usually enough to warrant putting on a water proof top/trouswers imo. There are cheap ones around (as Baz above mentioned) which are small and can easily be carried everywhere in a saddle bag.

Trousers - I hate them, I have some dhb Amberleywhich aren't overly water proof and to me just aren't nice to cycle in - I prefer shorts even when it's raining as it's easier to just wipe your legs down than some wet leggings or something that you will have to put back on at the end of the day - soggy clothes aren't nice. Do you have anywhere to dry out your clothes?

Mudguards will stop surface water spraying up, so might be worth it, and some kind of overshoe (maybe time to invest in clipless if you are up for it) to keep your feet a little drier.

Considered a longer but "safer" route?

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Shorts and a base layer for me in most weathers. If its really horrid, long tights and a waterproof jacket over the top. Anything else is too hot (and damp to put back on later).

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Shorts with padded liners for 80% of the year, Ron Hill bikesters for the rest. If you don't like tights a cheapish set of 3/4s will help keep your knees warm in the cold.
Cheap Aldi cycle tops or running tops if you find them cheap.

For the very cold days a merino base layer is good, you can get them cheap at Decathlon.
Invest in a decent pair of gloves if you can for the winter, avoind SealSkinz waterproof gloves, they're not.

A buff is good protection on your head from the sun in the summer, and protects your face from the cold in winter. If you don't want to pay for the Buff brand ones, TK Maxx are doing a 3 pack of Oxford ones for £5.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Hello everyone, first post, this seemed the best place.

I commute 15 miles each way, I do it on a Marin Muirwoods 29er climb 285ft Descend 255ft vice versa on the way home it takes me 59 minutes (best time) average 1.02.

The steepest hill I use the middle front and 1st or 2nd on the back, I am starting to lust after a decent road bike with compact gears.

The upside to the Marin I would guess is that it can take the slings and arrow of riding near the kerb, and gearing.

So what would be the up and downsides of a road bike with compact gearing?

Oh and is 59 minutes a good time?

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Can some one give me advice on what type of clothing to get i currently have a old pair of shorts & t shirt but need to invest in some more suitable clobber ?

If you are comfortable there is no need to rush and buy new clobber, but over time you may find good water proofs a good investment in the longer term.

Top Bottom