Will spending on cycling infrastructure lessen during government austerity?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Over in the cafe, there's https://www.cyclechat.net/posts/5050972 from @User and a reply from me, then https://www.cyclechat.net/posts/5051146 from @User43827 and again I reply, but that's all that's been written about cycling there before it got closed with an advert.

This year CUK were pretty swift with commentary, tweeting "no mention of walking and #cycling in the budget" and criticising "220 million for a #cleanair fund - less than half % [of the amount spent freezing fuel duty]" which, although not very detailed, is much better than BC's silence so far (maybe now they have government-appointed directors and Boardman now works for one of the regions getting given some money which could possibly be used on cycling, it chills vocal campaigning) and Sustrans's seeming praise of the tiny Clean Air Fund.

Please let me know if you spot other reactions from cycling groups or commentators. While you might think that no money for cycling might mean that they won't build any crocks, there's a heck of a lot of money being spent on motoring that will probably make road conditions worse.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The one that covers misappropriation of funding, at the end of day it was all about building a massive on street bus depot, the flooded composting facility at the edges was just an excuse.
Can you point me at more detail on that? Like how much went on the bus depot, or other critiques.

And yet, they're saying it's working - does it look like it's getting as many riders as they claim?

Siclo

Veteran
Can you point me at more detail on that? Like how much went on the bus depot, or other critiques.

And yet, they're saying it's working - does it look like it's getting as many riders as they claim?

Oxford Road is the depot, it's essentially what it's become.

Is it working? I'd say that the numbers they are quoting are probably correct, but I don't think it's led to a huge increase in cycling, what has certainly happened is it's concentrated cycling, moving journeys off the side streets e.g. through the science park, onto Oxford Road.

There are positives, for example I saw a young family cycling outside Whitworth Park the other night, unthinkable a few years ago BUT the gains are starting to be eroded. Critical to the success was removing private motor vehicles during the day but motorists have figured out there is only enforcement of the bus gates at two locations and they can enter / leave Oxford Road via the side streets such as Denmark Road with impunity. The council have no plans to add to the current enforcement and so private motor traffic is rapidly rising again, with added 'get in the cycle lane' guff.

Another problem is maintenance , the lanes are built wide enough for the sweeper to travel down BUT late in the design pinch points were added at each end of a segregated stretch meaning that the sweeper can't get in, hence my reference to compost facility, I can't see the council swallowing the cost of man with broom for long. This also means you can't use it if you ride a trike, use a trailer etc.

A lot of my negativity on it is borne out of frustration. Everything that is wrong with it is all stuff that was pointed out again and again to the council by various people at every stage, but they did it anyway.

Top Bottom