1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will That New Bike Make all the Difference?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by John the Monkey, 17 Mar 2008.

1. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

One cyclist exchanges his $1,500 aluminium bike for a $5,000 carbon bike in an attempt to find out.

Full article here.

2. walker

walker New Member

Lol, if he only does a few hundred miles a year whats the point in upgrading? its only when your doing thousands of miles is it worth the upgrade

3. topcat1

topcat1 vintage Mercian 2012

That's a very interesting article, although i've had the same gains just by changing the wheels on my roadbike.

4. Yes - thanks for that John...particularly as I fancy a Cervelo myself!:biggrin: (Another way to talk myself into one when £ fairy pays a visit)

5. mondobongo

mondobongo Über Member

Its almost like he tries to talk himself out of it at the end that the gains were small a recreational cyclist would be looking for 20-25% gains. Then bang he's hooked with the overall feel of the bike and buys an RS. Thank god he did my missus spotted the article and bookmarked it to read at a later date if he had said no difference future upgrades may well have been difficult.

6. OP
    OP
    John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

That's the thing that interested me, tbh. "Feel" is such a subjective thing - I knew I had to have the bikes I bought as soon as I'd gone a mile or so on them. I wasn't really thinking in terms of being x% faster at all, just "Gosh, this is really quite fun..." :biggrin:

7. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

he said he rides on the pavement :sad: :biggrin:

8. Melvil

Melvil Standard nerd

I agree with JTM above - the 'feel' of a bike is always more important to me than straight weight or specs. If you feel comfortable on it and want to extend your journeys because it feels good then the bike is for you.

It's a case of diminishing returns in nearly every product to the right of the 'normal curve' in terms of money. But then some people want that little bit extra...

9. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

AND?