1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will the Worlds go Ahead

Discussion in 'Pro Cycling (Road and Track Racing)' started by chris42, 2 Aug 2007.

?
  1. Yes as planned

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No! They will be cancelled

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. They will go ahead with a change of venue

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  4. Don't care

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. chris42

chris42 New Member

So with all the scandle and doping at the TDF do you think the worlds will go ahead as scheduled?

2. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

I think they will. I don't know what the legal position is, but I would think the germans would be liable for hefty damages if they suddenly cancelled them, and the German Cycling federation could well find themselves blacklisted.

I think the Germans are being holier-than-thou shoots over this doping issue. Why not pick on the sports where everyone knows doping is rife but nothing is done to stop it, rather than the one sport which is not afraid to confront the issue.

3. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

It's been confirmed, according to Cycling news, that they will go ahead but with an even stricter testing schedule for all the riders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. fuzzy29

fuzzy29 New Member

I would imagine that if any country needs a successful cycling event, Germany is high on that list. Also, apart from Millar, there haven't been many doping scandals in the Worlds for a number of years.

5. zimzum42

zimzum42 Legendary Member

I can't believe it's even an option.

So there are some cheats in the sport, so what?

They get caught and punished in the end. Absolutely no reason they should not go ahead. The Germans are being stupid......

6. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

7. asterix

asterix Comrade Member

I'd really like to believe that, but how do we know?

I think that if the Germans are being stricter they are doing the right thing. Remember that part of Germany once fielded the notoriously drug dependent East German athletes. Something that may explain their current attitude?

8. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

there will be too much money invested in them and too many vested intrests for them to be cancelled, whatever the state of play with the dopers.

9. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

if you cancel events because of doping problems in sport, the Olympics would be the first thing to go.