Will this be a good bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

emilyd5

Hi, I am new to road cycling and wanting to get into it. I have been riding the specialized Ariel sport bike for a couple years now and have gotten the opportunity to purchase a 2019 specialized allez road bike. And I’m just wondering if this bike is a good fit for women?
Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
It’ll be fine as long as it’s the right size frame. You’ll want to swap to a ladies saddle and you may also want to consider narrower handlebars and possibly a shorter stem 👍
Have a test ride and see how you find the the reach on the brake levers and getting enough power to stop the bike from speed. If it’s difficult, you can add secondary brake levers on the handlebars which will be like braking on your flatbar bike
what model Allez is it? What size is it and how tall are you?
Have you ridden it?

I’m a tall woman and all my roadbikes are ‘mens’ frames but I have to make all the adjustments above

Last edited:
It gets 4.5 out of 5 on it's Bike Radar review HERE so it can't be bad.

As vickster says though it must be the right size. If it isn't then you simply won't ride it, so don't compromise on size thinking oh it'll do

Also don't compromise on colour either, if you don't really like it then the the above applies once more.

Note geometry changed to unisex in 2020 so a 2019 is bloke specific, it used to be a Dolce which my wife has with ladies saddle.
It may not be an ideal set up to be honest, but ride before you buy, if it feels good, it is good. :okay:

A smaller sized 2019 Allez should be fine as a starter / improver bike for a woman. As has been said, make sure you’re happy with the ride, on whichever size you need / choose.

OP
OP
E

emilyd5

It’ll be fine as long as it’s the right size frame. You’ll want to swap to a ladies saddle and you may also want to consider narrower handlebars and possibly a shorter stem 👍
Have a test ride and see how you find the the reach on the brake levers and getting enough power to stop the bike from speed. If it’s difficult, you can add secondary brake levers on the handlebars which will be like braking on your flatbar bike
what model Allez is it? What size is it and how tall are you?
Have you ridden it?

I’m a tall woman and all my roadbikes are ‘mens’ frames but I have to make all the adjustments above
I believe it's just the standard model and I am 5"6 the bike is 52cm.

vickster

Legendary Member
That should be fine size wise 👍 See how it feels. If needed, you could swap saddle from the Ariel or get another the same if it’s comfy for you

Last edited:
It depends on your relative proportions, but I’d guess that size could be a little on the large side for you. But you’d be the best judge of that.

Top Bottom