Williams lightweight project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

12boy

Guru
I put Tiagra brakes on my fixie and they are is still there and working perfectly even for its second owner.

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
Just an update to this old thread. I built the bike back up, got it all adjusted exactly to my needs, rode it once round the garden to check all was OK, and then put it back in the garage. And there it has stayed, untouched. Other projects took over and I never got a chance to ride it anywhere. My health hasn't been too good lately and I don't think I will be riding it any time soon, so I have decided to sell. I know it won't make a lot of money as it is only a 5-speed and built to a budget, but it owes me about £500 in parts and I'd like to get some of that back if I could. The main fun was in the build, so I can be realistic about price. Any ideas on how much I should ask would be very gratefully received.

I'll post some photos tomorrow if the weather holds. Thanks for any advice.

Williams 531 frame 23”/58cm
Rims 27x1/14 polished alloy, 36 hole, nutted axles
Raleigh tyres 27x1.25 (32-630)
Schwalbe inner tubes
M-Wave alloy single crankset with 170mm cranks, 44T
Brooks Cambium C15 saddle
Tektro RL340 brake levers
Genetic Heritage drop handlebars
Humpert 350mm alloy seat post
KMC 3/32 narrow chain
Shimano Tiagra caliper brakes
Genetic Hyoid quill stem
Shimano Tourney RD-A070 rear derailleur
5-speed sprocket set, medium range (details to follow)
Dia Compe downtube shifters
Frame paint Ford Blazer Blue with correct 531 decals

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
Thanks, Biggs682. It's a lovely frame. My health is OK-ish, just getting older (I turned 70 last year) and things are catching up with me. Nothing major, just being reminded that 'old age doesn't come alone'.

When I got it together I realised that the frame was intended for 600C rims, and I have fitted 27" for tradition's sake. It makes no difference to the ride, but on reflection the wheels just look a shade too large for the frame here. Easily changed, though.

Image from earlier in the thread:
1716196019375.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
Bit of advice please, folks. I've had the bike out today and given it a clean and a check over. Have to say I am pleased with how it looks and how well everything works. I'm going to advertise it locally and not sure about how much to ask. I'll be selling it as an old-school fitness/training road bike, put togther as a lockdown project. I know during lockdown that roadworthy bikes of almost any nature were making about £250, bit I'm sure that won't apply today. The bike owes me a shade over £500, but I am realistic about what it's worth to someone else. I'm thinking of advertising it for £200 ono. All the parts are new and properly fitted/adjusted, but they are all at the budget end as I was trying to keep the cost down. About right/too much/not enough? I think if I could only get £100 I would keep it and make it electric - now that would be interesting!

Any thoughts/suggestions welcome. DM me if there's any interest here.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Apart from the Tourney rear mech (deserves better) That looks a lovely bike❤️
I think £200 ono is fair.

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
For the right price, I'd be happy to meet someone half way - done that before and it worked well. But I have no friends or base in either place that would work. (Daughter is busy in London with a newborn, so can't really use that!)

I'm very reluctant to use eBay after a recent experience my wife had, so I guess I'll put it on Facebook at £200 ono and take it from there. Thanks for the advice, both.

Top Bottom