Wilson - not Sheffield

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carpenter

Über Member
Hi, I bought this one a few years ago on eBay (~ £30). Previous owner was confused, hundreds of watchers but only my bid!
I think that a lot of the watchers were looking for a J Wilson of Sheffield. It isn't one of theirs; I checked with them. But I was taken with some of the frame details, now the Dancelli is done, it is time for this little dear to be looked after.
IMG_0507.jpg IMG_0508.jpg IMG_0509.jpg IMG_0510.jpg IMG_0511.jpg IMG_0512.jpg IMG_0513.jpg

The only other Wilson I can find is a Birmingham dealer who had dealings with Major Nicholls, although the frame doesn't look at all like one of his makes!

I don't expect it to be a valuable frame, but I would appreciate any ideas/information - I have become quite emotionally attached to it, in the same way that I would feel for a three legged dog:biggrin:

midlife

Guru
Not sure why but it looks like a Puch? Is there a riveted head badge?

OP
OP
C

carpenter

Über Member
No holes for head badge, transfer does say "England", I think the paint (and decals) are original. Just bought a vernier and I make the seat post 25.8mm.
I am quite take with the front lamp bracket - just looks old/strange design to me.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I remember buying a Wilson of some description whilst staying in Sheffield a few years back. Can't recall the details but it was a racer from the seventies. 42/52 chain rings and 6 speed.
As @midlife says that definitely looks mainland European.

southcoast

Über Member
Marlboro made bikes with similar lugs and bridges back in the mid eighties. They also owned the Holdsworth brand name about that time I believe.

Top Bottom