Wiltshire Cycling and walking consultations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Couldn't understand what they mean ! Well not for Chippenham .:wacko:

The last time they put in a cycle lane it was a disaster! They spent money putting in bollards to prevent vehicles from using a lane which wasn't used ! :angry: They could have saved a lot of money by making a wide pavement dual purpose . Cyclists and pedestrians .

OP
OP
Hebe

Hebe

getting better all the time
Couldn't understand what they mean ! Well not for Chippenham .:wacko:

The last time they put in a cycle lane it was a disaster! They spent money putting in bollards to prevent vehicles from using a lane which wasn't used ! :angry: They could have saved a lot of money by making a wide pavement dual purpose . Cyclists and pedestrians .

I didn’t look at the Chippenham one. Those bollards sound pointless. The Devizes one marks out a network of proposed cycle routes and walking routes, and the ability to highlight barriers/problems with cycling and walking on a map. So a chance to show where the problems are. I think local authorities have to have LCWIPs in place to stand the best chance of securing active travel funding? I don’t think Wiltshire got any funding in the last tranche.

Solocle

Über Member
From what I can see from that is that they are thinking of putting a cycle route along the bypass from the Bath road by the fried chicken shop up to Morrisons. Why not go the whole hog and put a cycle lane down the M4.

The A4 works fairly well as a long distance M4 cycle lane, as far as I can see.
1659369233978.png

Solocle

Über Member
That looks like the Soho ?

Black Dog is fun !:whistle:

IIRC a decent climb, but nothing on the A4 seems to be too bad generally. Some day I'd probably like to do the length of that road, as it's quite feasible. Unlike the local A30, which, while I've ridden most of the old route of it at various points? Land's End to London in one fell swoop is rather ambitious...
1659428486863.png

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I took a look at the Salisbury plans as its one of my favourite loops but I’ve always been amazed at how difficult is can be to get to and from the city centre from the east. Geography doesn’t help, but the ring road, A30 and A36 are all real barriers.

Last edited:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
From what I can see from that is that they are thinking of putting a cycle route along the bypass from the Bath road by the fried chicken shop up to Morrisons. Why not go the whole hog and put a cycle lane down the M4.

I wouldn't like to cycle the length of that bypass even with a bike lane, not necessary IMO as the CC11 route provides a reasonable way north south. There is a very real need is for protected cycle lanes - CC1 - (north and south sides) along the A350 dual carriageway to and from the Plough Lane junctions as there is currently no safe direct route to Kington St Michael and the countryside north of Chippenham.

Solocle

Über Member
I took a look at the Salisbury plans as its one of my favourite loops but I’ve always been amazed at how difficult is can be to get to and from the city centre from the east. Geography doesn’t help, but the ring road, A30 and A36 are all real barriers.

I don't tend to bother to avoid the A30 personally. Last Sunday's ride...

Capture1.JPG

Capture1.JPG

:bicycle:

I wouldn't like to cycle the length of that bypass even with a bike lane, not necessary IMO as the CC11 route provides a reasonable way north south. There is a very real need is for protected cycle lanes - CC1 - (north and south sides) along the A350 dual carriageway to and from the Plough Lane junctions as there is currently no safe direct route to Kington St Michael and the countryside north of Chippenham.

The only routes are through the back lanes . Kington St. Michael, Hullavington or Kington Langley, Stanton St. Quinton .

Solocle

Über Member
Yes! It's best avoided ! :whistle:
1659613854602.jpeg

This is my end of it.
I really don't like the run between the A31 and Upton, though. So much so that I'll use the A31 to avoid it!
B2D05EBB-C0AC-477E-8487-B1E5A540AECB.jpeg

You just don't want to go much further east on the A31, unless you have the road closed :okay:
1659614410467.jpeg

Back to the A350, the stretch between Spetisbury and Blandford is generally fine, and the stretch between Blandford and Shaftesbury is quieter than the C13 - because it's a bendy twisty road. Although last time I rode that stretch was April 2020, and I even carried onto the A303, so I can't exactly comment on normal traffic conditions.

North of Shaftesbury there be dragons.

Top Bottom