Wiltshire noobie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

barney5286

Hi to you all and thanks for a great forum. I've only recently started cycling in an attempt at weight loss, (it worked) trouble is I'm now enjoying it.
I have managed to grab a bargain bike last week. It's a Specialized Sirrus, and I'd like to ask if I can swap the present 700x28 slicks for something more tow path friendly? Would 700x35 tyres fit on my present rims Alex DA16?
Cheers
Barney

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Hi Barney, welcome to the forum. Cycling is totally addictive so be warned, your wallet will suffer!

OK, your question:

IMHO, to use a 35mm tyre on a 16mm rim is marginal. Take a look here. I'm not saying it is not possible, but it may cause problems. Also, you must consider frame clearances as the tyre may foul the chain stays.

I'm not sure why you think it necessary to change from 28mm as I regularly rode tow paths on 28mm for years. Choice of tyre can make a huge difference in that more flexible tyre walls generally result in a more comfortable ride, but the tyres may well be more susceptible to damage. Compromise is the name of the game and careful attention to tyre pressures.

If it is any help, I can recommend Panaracer Paselas for excellent ride quality, but they are perhaps more prone to attention from the dreaded p*****re fairy than say Schwalbe Marathon Plus's.

OP
OP
B

barney5286

Hi Barney, welcome to the forum. Cycling is totally addictive so be warned, your wallet will suffer!

OK, your question:

IMHO, to use a 35mm tyre on a 16mm rim is marginal. Take a look here. I'm not saying it is not possible, but it may cause problems. Also, you must consider frame clearances as the tyre may foul the chain stays.

I'm not sure why you think it necessary to change from 28mm as I regularly rode tow paths on 28mm for years. Choice of tyre can make a huge difference in that more flexible tyre walls generally result in a more comfortable ride, but the tyres may well be more susceptible to damage. Compromise is the name of the game and careful attention to tyre pressures.

If it is any help, I can recommend Panaracer Paselas for excellent ride quality, but they are perhaps more prone to attention from the dreaded p*****re fairy than say Schwalbe Marathon Plus's.

Thanks for that reply. I have ordered a pair of Schwalbe Marathon comforts 700x32 which creeps inside the limits of 2x inner rim, so that should be fine.
Hopefully, they will be a little softer to ride on as well as having the tread that I'm used to on my old MTB. I can always put the slicks back on if I attempt a longer road journey.

Top Bottom