Winchester to London (Again) 25th August 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trickedem

Guru
After the success of Last Year's ride I thought we would do it all again.
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/winchester-to-london-100mile-ride-2nd-july.75317
This was a great ride through stunning countryside and if you are lucky with a following wind! The only bad point was the M3/A34 junction, which we cycled round and nearly killed ourselves. However, the good news is that I have found the entrance to the tunnel! http://goo.gl/maps/Avp2
We would catch either the 7.35, 7.39 or 7.50 trains out of Waterloo and a ticket cost £15 on a 4 person groupsave.
The route is fairly hilly and is around 100miles back to London, although there are several bail out points along the way where you could catch a train back to London. We would stop around 11am for a snack then again a 1.30pm for lunch. I would expect the moving speed to be 14-15mph.

Let me know if you are interested. Although it is two months away, I wanted to get this in the diary now.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Count me in as a definite

rb58

Enigma
Calendar looks alright at the moment, so put me on the list please Tim. It was a great ride last year. (although it is a bank holiday weekend, so my plans may yet change)

U

User10571

That's an interesting little ride, that is...
From the six or so traffic free miles as we left Winchester and slewed our way through watercress beds, to the endless stream of invective from those who had (presumably) never tackled White Down previously *snigger*.
To the glorious descent from Box Hill to The River by those who elected not to accompany Trickidem back to his homelands.....

Not yet sure whether I'm up for it, but certainly a ride which gets the User10571 seal of approval :smile:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
White Down is one of the nastiest climbs I've ever tackled...

Most definitely interested (again). Might be up for riding from the smoke too. Would like to get a 200 miler in the bag this year, company would certainly be nice. Unless I do it solo during my week off (week of Newhaven-Dieppe-Paris), for which I was thinking Pompey-London-Brighton-Pompey.

OP
OP
Trickedem

Trickedem

Guru
Just to confirm, I am planning a 9.00am start from Winchester, for those who want to get there by other means.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Hi Trickedem,

Do you know where you would possibly be lunching yet?

I cant make the whole ride as I have early morning commitments that day, but would like to join you all for lunch and then the rest of the ride, if thats okay?

OP
OP
Trickedem

Trickedem

Guru
We lunched last time at the Gomshall Mill. However, I have looked at their website and they appear to have gone a bit fancy and expensive. So we need somewhere nearby and I am open to suggestions. Based on timings from last year we arrived here at 1.30pm and I would expect to arrive about the same time.

Top Bottom