Wind Direction explained(ish)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
There have been times when I have been feeling good and was very pleased with how well I am riding
then started heading back and discovered I had an unexpected tail wind all the way out and have to pedal into a headwind all the way back!
Yes, tailwinds do not exist. There are only headwinds and cyclists having a good day.

This applies double on the fens, with no hills and few trees to shelter behind: you're getting blown, burnt, bathed or any mix of the three!

steverob

Guru
I tend to have a bank of different routes planned so that I can pick and choose between them depending on wind direction - living in a town where there are major roads leaving it in seven different directions does make that a tad easier admittedly. My aim is to try and get something approximating a tailwind on the return leg of a trip, but at the same time not have a direct headwind on the way out - quite do-able by leaving on one road and coming back home on a completely different one.

However I will note that I'm less bothered by the wind direction during the summer months - the fact that I'm fitter due to the longer distances I'm riding and that I might actually quite like a bit more breeze if it's getting a little too warm, means I'll put up with a headwind if it's the best way to complete my planned route. In the winter however when there's a fair chance I'm either cold or wet (despite my many layers) and wanting to get home as quickly as possible before it gets dark, I will do anything I can to stay away from anything headwind related and have even re-routed on the fly before now!

My usual rides are all from Tavistock to Plymouth. This route is humped, ie Tavistock to Yelverton is UP, level to Clearbrook Leat car park, ish, then DOWN to Plymouth. Naturally, the profile is similar in the other direction. This means I try to choose windless days (or as close to it as one may safely get), and just get on with it, ignoring the wind.
However, the wind seldom seems to ignore me!
:biggrin:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Riding from home I have no option so far as direction is concerned which is why I take my car [ outside tourist season] to somewhere with a better choice of directions.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
To be honest I very rarely look at the wind direction. I just take it as it comes. Only if very strong winds are forecast do I consider the wind, and then it's just to think "do I go out in this?".

As an exception I did once get a train to Gatwick and rode to Whitstable with a howling gale behind me. That was brisk.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
If you use the Met Office forecasts they provide an arrow for wind direction. No need to be confused.

557E0884-40BA-4E87-8C78-102610F23255.jpeg

But apparently the official prevailing wind for the UK is from the SW - just not round here!
True i think.
I gave this some serious thought after a hellish ride across the fens heading SW towards peterborough fully loaded to catch a fixed time train.
Never again!

There is always that nice feeling when you are feeling rubbish and struggling with a ride you do regularly - pushing to maintain a pace that you can normally keep up for ages
Then you stop and realise there is a headwind you were not aware of!

I once did a 5 day circular tour with a tailwind the whole day.
I also did an unplanned tour into the teeth of a fierce NW gale. Making no headway up a 15% gradient, I turned tail and began an unplanned tour downhill with a tail wind.

Top Bottom