Wind

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
No, not that sort you twisted creatures, I mean the weather type wind. Is everyone else suffering it? Here in the east of the civilsed world it is seriously strong......so strong it blew Mrs A and myself down to the local boozer when I meant to do a twenty miler........honest! Suppose I'll have to amuse myself some other way. Any suggestions?

nic

Seriously strong in the North West too. It made for an interesting club run. The trick is to go for a head wind initially, get a nice cafe stop and then have fantastic tail wind all the way back. :?:

longers

Legendary Member
We went the other way - behind out and in your face back. Had no choice as the destination was set. Plenty of times the bike would wander across the road in crosswinds too. Hanging on for grim death coming down the Snake :ohmy:.

Gerry - have you thought about going to the pub? :?:

nic - where are you based? (just being nosey!)

OP
OP
Gerry Attrick

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
longers said:
We went the other way - behind out and in your face back. Had no choice as the destination was set. Plenty of times the bike would wander across the road in crosswinds too. Hanging on for grim death coming down the Snake :ohmy:.

Gerry - have you thought about going to the pub? :?:

nic - where are you based? (just being nosey!)

I did more than think!!!!

girofan

Kirstie said:
Only managed 50 miles today. Went out into a headwind and back with a tailwind, with some more headwind right at the end. The wind was pants, but when we found some shelter from it, it was a beautiful summers day.

My riding friend and I did 50 miles and just outside Welshpool there was a gust so strong that it stopped me dead, (I was leading) from 15mph! :?:
Great on the return though, 27mph freewheeling. :ohmy::biggrin::biggrin:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Dont talk about the wind. Did 87miles and on the way back and some of the way there was all a strong headwind. Killing and by the side of the river i was at the front, going at about 15-16mph with the strong headwind trying to avoid all the other people on bikes. Speed went down to 11mph at one stage on the flat. Very painful in places.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Longers and I were climbing the Snake Pass at about 5 mph on the top - not steep, but very exposed.

Not had a good run up that hill this year - it's been howling gales both times I've ridden it...

Was out doing the "Merlin Ride" today based around Llandeilo/Black Mountains. Coming down over the top of Brynaman we were struggling to stay upright at 18 m.p.h. pushing like crazy!:?: And there always seemed to be a headwind as well after that.:biggrin: But we really enjoyed the challenge of it. :ohmy:

Definitely a 'blustery' one to day, though it didn't seem too bad during my early morning pootle around 5-6am. Nipped up to ASDA around mid day and changed my mind about a bit of a spin for the afternoon ... and it's still pretty wild now. Ah well! ... There's another day to morrow (retirement's a wonderful idea, but the pay's a bit crap ;)).

Plax

Guru
I didn't bother going out on the bike. I would have liked to, but driving home this afternoon from the bf's, it was really windy and there was debris all over the roads. After nearly losing my car door when the wind caught it, I thought it would be best to just clean the house and settle down to oggle Philip Glenister with a can of lager (in a glass I might add as I am a laydeee) and a potato bake.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Yorkshireman said:
Definitely a 'blustery' one to day
Sure is! I had too much lentil chilli last night.. pffffrrrtttt!;)
and having let go of an sbd earlier in the kitchen, I've been banished to th living room... where the footy is on! pppffffrrrrrtttt!

Top Bottom