Wind!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
No, not too much broccoli! Head wind. Oh how I hate it!! My 8 mile Friday commute this morning was 100% into a strong SE gusting upto 30mph straight off the sea! It was like riding uphill for the whole trip.

jo8king

Good training though.......

Bicycle

I have long since arrived at the conclusion that it's God's way of punishing me for not believing in him.

The windier he makes it, the less I believe, starting at zero and going down from there.

So there!

I prefer hills to wind. At least you know there is a top, and therefore an end to the hill.

SE winds are the worst for me, a sharpish climb to crest the hill where it plateaus out at which point it becomes evident that the hill has been sheltering me from the worst of the wind.

Good fun on the way back though.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I remember my first experience of extreme weather on a bike, cycling home in ridiculous winds with torrential rain, the sort where you tip out your shoes full of water at the end. It didn't actually take that much longer to get home but it felt endless, especially the exposed parts. Up and over a motorway bridge, straight into the wind and rain, I had to pedal going down the far side to keep moving.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I had to pedal going down the far side to keep moving.

Now that's when you know it's properly windy, when you can pedal all the way down your best freewheeling hill :bicycle:

Cal

I prefer hills to wind. At least you know there is a top, and therefore an end to the hill.

Not much fun when you hit the wind before you hit the top of the hill, last 3rd of 'my horrible hill' on the way home is open to all the elements. Really bleak and no streetlights. Love when I'm going the other way though!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Now that's when you know it's properly windy, when you can pedal all the way down your best freewheeling hill :bicycle:

Oh so true, actually that bit came as such a surprise it didn't really bother me, it was the rain stinging into my face that was the real killer, it hurt and I'm a crybaby at the best of times

Hip Priest

Veteran
A couple of weeks ago I went on a 30 mile ride, the last ten of which were into the worst headwind I've ever experienced. I made it home, despite wanting to give up, cry and lie on a verge, but when I climbed off my bike my legs were jelly and I had to sit in the garage for 10 minutes.

All good fun!

Top Bottom