Window Salesman... What was all that about?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cab

Just had a nice bloke round selling windows. We're looking to buy windows, so thats a good thing. He was a nice guy, I warmed to him, he was genuine and honest, which made me think yeah, I can deal with these people.

Did the usual, went through details, haggled, sorted out what we wanted, haggled more with info from their website, and then said thanks, we'll be in touch, we're not signing tonight because we're going to get other quotes.

He phoned his manager, and his manager tore him a new one. Insisted that the salesman offered us the whole job for 500 quid if we signed straight away. Ellie said no, straight off, I said that its too good to be true so it can't be, whats the catch? Poor sales bloke got a thorough drubbing on the phone from his manager, quite audible to us. It looked like a scam, but 500 quid? Something odd going on there.

Salesman left pledging to get a new job and apologising.

What the heck was that all about? I don't quite get what happened or why. Anyone had a sales experience like that before?

MsMalfoy

Was it a cold call? Or did you contact the company and ask for a rep to visit?
It sounds def, dodgy to me. Run a mile!

My o/h works for a window manufacturer and we can't get the whole house done for much less than that!

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

MsMalfoy said:
Was it a cold call? Or did you contact the company and ask for a rep to visit?
It sounds def, dodgy to me. Run a mile!

My o/h works for a window manufacturer and we can't get the whole house done for much less than that!

Wasn't a cold call, we contacted them. And they're a national company, pretty reputable.

gbb

Legendary Member
Depends how much the original quote was for, and how many windows.
IIRC, doors are what hike up the cost of double glazing, windows are'nt that dear.
Mind...£500, a quote that low would prolly make me nervous as well :tongue:

gbb

Legendary Member
Christ, mine cost £5000. But, i had umpteen windows and two high security doors fitted.
Paid cash, fitted in one day 1 week later....fantastic service....but then, i guess the lure of a cash on completion job is appeaing to them.

MsMalfoy

Fitters would charge at least £250 to fit 10 windows, never mind £500 for the lot!
Sounds highly dubious.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The phone call to the manager is a well rehersed scam to try and get you to feel sorry for the salesman and sign up. I don't know anything about double glazing, but I would imagine the PVC windows cost peanuts to make. Whatever price the salesman initially quotes is at least double that which would make an acceptable profit for the company, and sometimes many times more. That is why holdig out will get you a massive reduction.

I used to sell central heating door to door many years ago, long before the consumer protection act had any teeth, but every single word you say during your sales pitch is a carefully rehersed script, including the telephone bollocking from the manager. You can easily tell when a salesman is lying, his lips move.

longers

Legendary Member
OTT but i remember asking my mum what she meant when she said "he undressed me with his eyes". They didn't buy any windows off him - poor technique I guess.

MsMalfoy

I know the Kirby vacuum cleaner salesmen used to go through the same routine with the call to the manager (recorded message probably). They probably still do it, don't know anyone who's brought one though.

Keith Oates

Janner
Must agree that it sounds like a rehearsed sales pitch to me as well, but if it's a well known company and the windows are what you're looking for, go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MsMalfoy

Keith Oates said:
Must agree that it sounds like a rehearsed sales pitch to me as well, but if it's a well known company and the windows are what you're looking for, go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just don't pay the whole bill up-front!:tongue:

Brock

Yeah definitely a rehearsed ploy to make you feel guilty for not signing, you did well to stand up to it. Nasty pushy lying scum these people.

slow down

Once had a knock at the door and was greeted with the usual patter - after letting him do his usual speech I asked "You saying there's something wrong with my windows?". After an awkward silence he apologised and walked away. :tongue:

Top Bottom