Windows 7 End of Life Announcement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Caveat: I am no I.T. whizz, so be gentle.

January 2020 Windows 7 will cease to be, in that there is no more security or support updates. Upgrading to Windows 10 is not recommended on older laptops. I assume mine is included in this statement.

I have never been happy with PC and this statement saying ‘we recommend you get a new laptop’ just stinks.

I use an iPhone and an iPad and have come to enjoy the whole Apple environment. So when it comes to it, shall I just jump ship and get an Apple laptop? Or is there a cheaper way round this Microsoft bungle? I really think they have shot themselves in the foot and have left a massive opening for Apple to clean up quite nicely.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
My desk top has windows 7 and it will cost money to upgrade so treating myself to a new one by the end of the year.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Caveat: I am no I.T. whizz, so be gentle.

January 2020 Windows 7 will cease to be, in that there is no more security or support updates. Upgrading to Windows 10 is not recommended on older laptops. I assume mine is included in this statement.

I have never been happy with PC and this statement saying ‘we recommend you get a new laptop’ just stinks.

I use an iPhone and an iPad and have come to enjoy the whole Apple environment. So when it comes to it, shall I just jump ship and get an Apple laptop? Or is there a cheaper way round this Microsoft bungle? I really think they have shot themselves in the foot and have left a massive opening for Apple to clean up quite nicely.
Install Linux Mint for free on your laptop (you don’t have to remove Windows 7 if you don’t want to) and see how you get on with it. Install WINE to run Windows apps on Linux. If you don’t like it get a MacBook. I use Linux on a PC and have a MacBook. I love both for what I use them for (the PC is used primarily as a media server though and surfing the odd webpage. I use the MacBook for everything else).

Thanks to the forumites on here who suggested I do the same with Linux Mint. I absolutely love it. So much faster and more reliable than Windows has ever been.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am typing this on my 11 year old laptop, which currently runs on Windows 7. I have a 2 year old laptop which is better in every respect other than the keyboard so I use this one for the forum because I type a lot! I intend to convert this machine to Linux when Win 7 support stops. I'll use the new laptop for Windows apps and the old one for when I want to type a lot.

BTW - the new laptop runs Windows 10. I didn't like how different that was to Win 7 so I installed Open Shell which makes it look very much like Win 7.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I don't see the issue.
I haven't had updates on my win7 machine for months and it's been just fine.
Stay away from dodgy sites and you've nothing to worry about.
If you're worried about some hacker in a Serbian bomb shelter breaking into your bank account and stealing those millions you've taken from @Markymark for keeping his plastic surgery in tip top condition, don't. It'll happen with or without Bill Gates's security updates.

If it runs windows 7 it should run windows 10, probably faster. If you go for a mac I can't help you, you're lost to me.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Window's 10 runs fine. At worse, pop in a SSD as they are cheap, and you won't need a new laptop. You can still install Windows 10 if you have a valid licence key for Windows 7 - if you've got the sticker on the laptop/computer you can upgrade. You'll ideally need someone with Windows 10 to download an installable USB for you. Make sure you back up what you need, then run the bootable USB (may need a bios edit to change boot order) and when asked for the key, put in the Windows 7 one. I've done this 3 times recently - no need to upgrade as Microsoft are still allowing it on the quiet.

keithmac

Guru
Our works computer runs all our diagnostic kit on Wndows 7, work will have to buy a new laptop to run Windows 10 bloatware..

Truely shocking how Microsoft "manage" (squander more like!), resources.

My car diagnostic PC is on Windows 7, wost case I'll just turn off the wifi and install new programs via USB.

I've run XP machines and never had anyone "hack" them, I believe Google Chrome still supports XP?.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Colin, I've thought of a solution.
Would you like me to PM it to you? :whistle:^_^
There are many people on the forum who would consider that question for just a moment before answering, but I am one of those thinkers who knows that thinking is worth spending some time on, and that it is important to report every part of the process before finally coming to a conclusion, and only then replying...

'No, thank you'!

Somebody once told me to 'get a life' but I couldn't find a shop with them in stock, so I bought a laptop with a decent keyboard instead.

I have just been given an Acer Aspire small laptop, still in its unopened box and never used in around nine years. I had to buy a new battery to get it to work and it comes complete with a virgin Windows 7 on it. I hate Windows and have no doubts I will have problems with this laptop so am about to strip Windows out and set it up with Ubuntu as on my other computers.

classic33

Leg End Member
There are many people on the forum who would consider that question for just a moment before answering, but I am one of those thinkers who knows that thinking is worth spending some time on, and that it is important to report every part of the process before finally coming to a conclusion, and only then replying...

'No, thank you'!

Somebody once told me to 'get a life' but I couldn't find a shop with them in stock, so I bought a laptop with a decent keyboard instead.
Shop in The Square used to sell it.
images-10.jpg

Top Bottom