Windows (7) woes... :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
In a previous job I was the resident desktop support expert, but I don't mind admitting I was completely stumped when my Windows 7 installation died last year. I tried all manner of repairs using Windows 7 CDs, Linux boot disks, Partition Managers and more.

The thing that fixed it was a Windows 10 Recovery Disk - it got windows 7 booting again just fine. Only snag is I needed a Windows 10 PC to create the Recovery drive first (I used a USB stick). It's not often I'm impressed by Microsoft.

In a previous job I was the resident desktop support expert, but I don't mind admitting I was completely stumped when my Windows 7 installation died last year. I tried all manner of repairs using Windows 7 CDs, Linux boot disks, Partition Managers and more.

The thing that fixed it was a Windows 10 Recovery Disk - it got windows 7 booting again just fine. Only snag is I needed a Windows 10 PC to create the Recovery drive first (I used a USB stick). It's not often I'm impressed by Microsoft.

Still not understanding how the experience you've described could lead to you being impressed by MS?! b-b

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Could be dodgy memory or other hardware. Back in the day, we'd have bootable floppy disks that ran a diagnostic test. Might be worth a quick google for a free modern alternative, probably something to burn to dvd or transfer to usb. You need another pc for that of course.

bios/uefi settings might have corrupted. Worth looking at, and maybe resetting to defaults if still no joy. Also, check cpu fans are working and not caked with dust, as overheating could be a problem.

I've started again loads of times.... it's just not completing the install for some reason. Only option is keep trying :sad:
Disconnect everything that is dis-connectable including portable hard drive, USB memory, monitor, WiFi dongles, mouse, keyboard - everything. Have nothing connected and try again.

During its hanging phase does shift+F10 do anything? If it opens a command prompt there is hope: in the command prompt try typing explorer.exe and seeing what happens. If nothing then turn off and on again and see what happens (do not boot from the install CD). If you don't get a command prompt, try turning of and on again anyway (and do not boot from the install CD).

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Thanks @MossCommuter ...Unplugged all the external drives in the first instance... unplugged (almost) everything else and it's finally installed (needed to keep the mouse, keyboard and one monitor plugged in though... otherwise i wouldn't be able see owt)... now I'm just wary of windows updates, although those and the boot problem could be a coincidence.

it doesn't seem to be recognising my external drives though :sad: edit... oh, it is now :smile:

Last edited:
Thanks @MossCommuter ...Unplugged all the external drives in the first instance... unplugged (almost) everything else and it's finally installed (needed to keep the mouse, keyboard and one monitor plugged in though... otherwise i wouldn't be able see owt)... now I'm just wary of windows updates, although those and the boot problem could be a coincidence.

it doesn't seem to be recognising my external drives though :sad:
what's it doing (or not doing) when you connect your external drives?

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

Still not confident it's fixed but it's a start.

my lack of confidence wasn't wasted... after i finally got windows reinstalled, it did 223 updates on shut down, i went to work and came home and found it in the same state it was on Monday morning... unauthorised changes to boot sequence, blah blah ...it's definitely one of the updates doing it. Fecking Microsoft.

Anyway... thanks to a YouTube video, i fixed it. A default setting in BIOS is some SecureBoot thingy, which is no longer supported... so changing the SecureBoot setting in the bios boot menu from 'Windows' to 'other OS' has sorted it. Wish i'd found that on Monday.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

Right... my windows woes are continuing.

I've reinstalled windows numerous times but have never come across this before.

grrr.gif

all my music is on an external hard drive (as are my films and other documents). I've no problem opening and viewing my videos or documents, but every time i try to open an audio folder i get the above message. I've tried sharing the folder with 'everyone' but i still get the same window popping up. I'm the admin and sole user, so why the feck is it being fussy about my audio files???

ps. clicking continue just sends me round in a circle of adding permissions, only to be told that i don't have permission... grrr!

Last edited:
Top Bottom