Windows 7

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EssexRider

Im quite impressed so far,seems stable and starts up faster than my previous installation XP.No blue screens yet.

starts up faster but doesnt actually run faster than xp :tongue:
testfreaks.com did extensive tests on both OS's and the latest xp service pack beat win7 in almost all areas.

I'm on windows 7 though :biggrin: i do prefer it to xp and both are better than Vista :biggrin:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
My laptop came with Windows 7 but I find that most of the time I can't be bothered to boot it as I find that Ubuntu is so much faster...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Try this tip. Embedded in W7 is a short cut to almost everything that can be tweaked or adjusted. It is called "God Mode". To create a desktop shortcut to it, right click on the desltop and left click "new". On the sub menu, left click "Folder".

This creates a new folder on your destop. Rename said folder the following: "GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}" without the parentheses. You must use the curly brackets.

Voila, your folder icon changes to a computer monitor. Double click on it and a wealth of settings and adjustments are displayed.

Excellent tip
Cheers

OP
OP
B

Bird Brain

Try this tip. Embedded in W7 is a short cut to almost everything that can be tweaked or adjusted. It is called "God Mode". To create a desktop shortcut to it, right click on the desltop and left click "new". On the sub menu, left click "Folder".

This creates a new folder on your destop. Rename said folder the following: "GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}" without the parentheses. You must use the curly brackets.

Voila, your folder icon changes to a computer monitor. Double click on it and a wealth of settings and adjustments are displayed.

Christ that worked no problem,thanks for all the hints and tips from everyone. :wub:

happy with xp

I would have been but in the end it was taking ten minutes to load. :wacko:

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Definetly no geek,by the way whats a VM? sounds like a good idea though
Virtual machine.

Bman

Guru
I find Win7 is far more GUI and less command line.

I prefer XP (and its Start > Run option)

I dont need autocomplete on my command lines thanks.

Virtual machine.

Will look into setting up a virtual machine then. You never know I might turn into a geek, but doubt it
laugh.gif

OP
OP
B

Bird Brain

Me too, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it

I repeat again I got tired of waiting ten minutes for Windows XP to load. :whistle:

Perfect excuse to try something different.

That normally means you need to give your PC a 'hoover' rather than install a new OS!! (i.e. get rid of some of the crud that loads at startup that you never need).

See ccleaner and what's in the startup tab in that program.

Probably means it needs a re-install but that's the other computer.I just put a new drive in an XC Cube computer which was knocking around doing nothing.

I had already done a bit of cleaning it up but it wasn't that much different.(the old computer that is.It is old it must be 8 years old but still not a bad spec.)

Top Bottom