Windows file transfer problem to large USB data sticks - any ideas?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
I've noticed the same thing.
It's not some sort of thermal protection is it? My USB sticks get stinking hot during a big transfer.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
I've noticed the same thing.
It's not some sort of thermal protection is it? My USB sticks get stinking hot during a big transfer.

Don’t think so - they don't feel hot to the touch.

presta

Guru
I've just had one big dip from 90MB/s down to ~300kB/s copying my laptop SSD to a Buffalo HDD, but that's minimal compared to what USB sticks often do:
1666875204310.png

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Just recreated @presta's experiment using a close to 3 Gbyte file to three USB storage devices:

Sandisk USB stick - not their 'extreme' range, but I thought it was USB 3. Disappointing speed.
Inconsistent speed too, although a strangely regular pattern. It also failed at 99%. Several times (apparently the device "does not exist").
1666877595102.png

USB connected HDD. Faster than the sandisk stick, and much more consistent.
1666877725946.png

And with a newer USB stick; fastest of all, but why the hell did it slow down between 55% and 65% ? Maybe there was a power-saving setting; I should have wiggled a mouse.
1666878066250.png

After careful consideration of the entire thread, and with my cumulative knowledge and experience of using computers for over 40 years, I conclude that USB sticks are weird.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I copied 3 x 0.5 GB files to my 16 GB USB 3 Kingston DataTraveler G4. There was a ramping up of speed at the start, then one brief dip, before it settled into a steady 16 MB/s transfer. Total time taken was 1 min 43 seconds. The stick got warm but not hot.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
Just to update - I booted into Mint and tried the experiment there. The same stuttering stop-start data transfer.

Enough, you darn sticks!

I dug out my spare 2.5” caddy, fixed a 240gb SSD in it and moved the files between laptop and base unit without any fuss at all. Nice, steady data rate. For good measure, while it was connected to the laptop, I ran a backup as well.

Top Bottom