Wine taste

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Hover Fly said:
you will all be pleased to know she is now wetting herself laughing.

Why? What has amused her?

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
The one wine I know which usually actually tastes like the descriptions is Gewurztraminer from Alsace. You rarely get bad stuff and if you're prepared to go over ten quid the bottle you are likely to be in vinous heaven.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
upsidedown said:
Just opened a bottle of Australian Shiraz, very nice it is too.

The label says it has "a strong combination of blackcurrants, plum, spice and a touch of mint", i think it tastes, well, winey.

Are the marketing men lying to me, or are my taste buds shot to pieces?
Yes, call me a philistine (chorus of shouts), but I like my wine to taste of wine too. If I'd wanted the taste of blackcurrants, I'd go and buy some. :biggrin:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Fnaar said:
Yes, call me a philistine (chorus of shouts), but I like my wine to taste of wine too. If I'd wanted the taste of blackcurrants, I'd go and buy some. :biggrin:

Alternatively, buy a bottle of the "Three Hills' (or was it 'Three Mills' ?) English wine at £1.99 in the Tesco Wine Festival. Unless my tastebuds deceive me, they're filling the bottles with sickly-sweet Ribena and there's no alcohol with 1000 miles of the inside of the bottle.

Vile, vile, vile.

U

User482

Cheapish Aussie Shiraz is ok...if you like alcoholic ribena. I prefer European reds which have a bit more style. Having said that, if you go upmarket, Aussie wines can be a match for anything.

One point to note - if a wine is discounted to £4 from £7, then it's worth £4.

U

User482

goo_mason said:
Alternatively, buy a bottle of the "Three Hills' (or was it 'Three Mills' ?) English wine at £1.99 in the Tesco Wine Festival. Unless my tastebuds deceive me, they're filling the bottles with sickly-sweet Ribena and there's no alcohol with 1000 miles of the inside of the bottle.

Vile, vile, vile.

Was it English or British wine? There's a big difference - English wine is "proper" wine and can be very good, whereas Bristish wine is made from imported grape juice and is the devil's spawn.

postman

Legendary Member
Be careful with that wine.I used to do a half of a bottle friday night and finish it sat night.

I have noticed i can do the whole bottle in one go now.:biggrin:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I dislike intensely the heavily oaked New World wines. Give me a nice French un-oaked Chardonnay every time to a sauternes-coloured Jacobs Creek.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I have a few bottles of 1980 St Emilion sitting in the 'wine cellar' here in the flat. One day I'll crack one open.

Other than treats like that, I'm a fan of most red wines. At the mo though I'm rather partial to a Merlot or a Cabernet Merlot (or a Shiraz).

Top Bottom