Winnah!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
I just hope this doesn't fuel the get orf the fackin road brigade.

I don't and won't be using sustran routes much, however, it does show cycling in a positive light and for certain types of cyclists it will be useful.

I honestly don't think the type of drivers that shout for you to get off the road will notice something like this and put 2 and 2 together. They don't have the brain cells.

OP
OP
M

mrben

magnatom said:
I don't and won't be using sustran routes much, however, it does show cycling in a positive light and for certain types of cyclists it will be useful.

I honestly don't think the type of drivers that shout for you to get off the road will notice something like this and put 2 and 2 together. They don't have the brain cells.

I agree. I think this is a positive step. Plus, it seemed to be the only project which had a truly nationwide reach. One of the reasons a lot of cyclists don't use sustrans routes is because, in many situations, they're not ideal. £50m might make a bit of a difference to that.

My hope is that sustrans routes will allow people who are not that confident about the roads, and kids 'n' the like, to be able to get into cycling safely. At the moment, for every confident, law-abiding, cyclecraft-following cyclist on the road, there appears to be one that RLJs, hugs the gutter and is nervous around cars. This makes life difficult for cyclists and cars, IMO.

Maz

Guru
Who championed the cause on the TV programme? I only ever saw a glimpse of The Black Country one where Toyah Wilcox was speaking.

Tetedelacourse

Maz said:
Who championed the cause on the TV programme? I only ever saw a glimpse of The Black Country one where Toyah Wilcox was speaking.

Jeezus if you've got her speaking on your behalf you're not really onto a winner are you?

"Thith ith the motht detherving of cautheth and you thould theriouthly thupport it thingularly and with thauthigeth*"

*couldn't think of a way to work sausages into that.

Maz

Guru
Tetedelacourse said:
Jeezus if you've got her speaking on your behalf you're not really onto a winner are you?

"Thith ith the motht detherving of cautheth and you thould theriouthly thupport it thingularly and with thauthigeth*"
Yeth, it'th a mythtwy to me.

domtyler

Über Member
It'll be interesting to see if they actually do anything useful with the money. If they want to come and convert my road into a Home Zone then they are more than welcome.

domd1979

Veteran
mrben said:
One of the reasons a lot of cyclists don't use sustrans routes is because, in many situations, they're not ideal. £50m might make a bit of a difference to that.

I'm not entirely convinced...!

for every confident, law-abiding, cyclecraft-following cyclist on the road, there appears to be one that RLJs, hugs the gutter and is nervous around cars. This makes life difficult for cyclists and cars, IMO.

So does segregation!!

There's also a thread over in Campaign that was started a little while back on the Sustrans bid.

Tynan

Veteran
can't be a bad thing, gives an option to more sedate cyclists, as the quiet routes do at the moment

might even be some benefits on the main roads too

£50M sounds like a lot doesn't it?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
£50m won't go far, but for one I'm happy - it's a national project that will benefit many people - not just cycling - one or two projects link communities by bridges over rivers and stuff - not a bad idea at all !

Brock

Good news for the many people who will benefit from increased travel options in their locales, less good for the paranoid fantasists that believe the provision of links and routes specifcally for non motorised traffic will result in the dismissal of bicycles from the roads, but they're fairly obviously loons anyway, so on the whole...yay!

If Sherwood Forest had promised to install a full time band of merry men in the woods I would've voted for them though.

Top Bottom