1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winnats Pass

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by lifeson, 16 Jul 2007.

1. lifeson

lifeson New Member

Not mine but a good one anyway
    Winnats
    I tried last weekend and couldnt manage it without stopping half way :eek: , but my excuse was no warm up - started from Castleton just down the road.

2. TimO

TimO Veteran

I'm getting exhausted just watching it! I think they got the wrong idea, you're meant to film yourself woshing down hills, not dying going up them. :eek:

Fair does though, they didn't wimp out and starting walking.

It's interesting to note that you get the same sort of farkwits when cycling up a 1 in 5 in the middle the Peak District, that you get cycling through the middle of London.

3. Charlotte_C+ :-)

Charlotte_C+ :-) New Member

Wow that looks a great challenge!! :laugh:

but a painful one! :eek: :blush:

4. Melvil

Melvil Standard nerd

Whoa, that's some serious climbing there - good on 'em, though seemed to be too many cars around for my liking!

5. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

it's no picnic going down it believe me!

6. Tim Bennet.

Tim Bennet. Entirely Average Member

If Winnats is too busy (most summer weekends), then taking the old Mam Tor road can be a very pleasant alternative. It's not only traffic free, but was built as a less steep variation to Winnats Pass for the stage coaches on the toll road.

You will have hop off on a road bike a couple of times, but apart from that, it's all good tarmac.

The circuit up Mam Tor and Down Winnats is great.

7. longers

longers Veteran

They went up it better than me. Good video and good effort. There was more traffic than when I did it in March. It's a good road to Edale from the top of there too. ;)

8. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

10 out of 10 for effort, that seems to be one heck of a climb!!!!