Winter clothing suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrbez

Hi Guys,

As I am new to riding, I would appreciate it if you guys could help me source some winter clothing.

At present, I have some padded bib shorts and two short sleep jerseys, along with a Altura Night Vision jacket that I bought yesterday.

I assume that I will need some kind of full length leg protection and also a long sleeve jersey?

I am on a budget as I have spent up on buying my bike etc!

Your help would be great. I don't mind buying used, I take an XL in short sleeve jerseys.

Regards.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The dhb kit from Wiggle is excellent value and well made. I use a long sleeve Windslam jersey in cool conditions: http://www.wiggle.co...indslam-jersey/

...and a heavier jacket for really cold weather worn over a Helly Hansen Lifa base layer: http://www.wiggle.co...cycling-jacket/

Oh and for the legs dhb's winter tights.

Don't bother buying cheapo stuff made in Pakistan from the web; I did and it was rubbish. I ended up flogging two long sleeve jerseys as they were so badly cut.

OP
OP
M

Mrbez

Do you guys wear waterproof pants in the wet or will a waterproof jacket and winter tights with overshoes be okay?

Globalti

Legendary Member
I don't think leisure cyclists wear waterproof overtrousers; they would get ridiculed by their mates and the troos would flap in the wind. Waterproof jacket and overshoes, sure, but legs need to move freely and lycra longs will be ok in the wet, they will dry out pretty fast so you just need to ride faster!

For commuting though over shorter distances and needing to arrive warm and dry, overtrousers would be OK in heavy rain. In 23 years of cycling I think I've worn overtrousers once.

OP
OP
M

Mrbez

Okay great.

Can you link me to the winter tights?

Also, are base layers beneficial? I assume only wear these in cold weather?

henshaw11

>waterproof jacket and winter tights with overshoes be okay

Pretty much what I've always done, 'cept I normally use a fleecy/roubaix long-sleeve jersey when it gets cold, with or without base layer, and expect/hope to be no worse than warm/wet !

Tights come in a few flavours - like long (bib)shorts, mebbe in heavier lycra; or with roubaix/fleecy lining; and variations of the previous two with a windstopper/windtex (ie windproof) layer, mainly on the front.

I usually go from shorts>roubaix tights, and put up with being a little too warm on occasion- I've got lycra tights too but they tend to get used less.

Another option is leg/knee (arm?) warmers - again, in lycra or roubaix, and/or windproof - handy if say you start your journey at one temperature and finish at another, or the weather changes drastically.

It's rare on an upright for me to need anything other than roubaix tights when it's cold/wet, if you're cycling with a reasonable effort you generate a fair bit of heat and the fleecy stuff keeps you warm, even if you get a bit soggy. Often just a decent base layer under a short sleeve jersey is sufficient to be warm - layering's good and gives you options to warm up/cool down.

When the weather's really cold I wear neoprene socks (eg sealskinz, porelles) as well as overshoes, but that's not often.

Baselayers..hmm, they vary a bit, mebbe one else has some recommendations. My (18yrs old?) Helly Hansen is my favourite under a SS jersey and whilst warm when it's chilly is open enough to not cook too much if it warms up - but their modern (thin) equivalent (unless they've a better alternative) is too thin and don't offer as much insulation. Merino wool is good but can be a little itchy/££, but sometimes you see it on sale (I bought a Technicals jobbie in a sale at Blacks last year)- doesn't get smelly long-term like synthetics either.

Just thought - some tights don't come with a pad insert (probably with a thicker/double layer of material), you may find that's enough (which I do) or you may want a decent pad instead. I guess some people might wear padded shorts under padless tights too.

Top Bottom