winter clothing - what do you wear?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

baggytrousers

I've been commuting to work for 12 mths now and last winter I wore some Gridlock overtrousers which were great but a little hot and sweaty by the time I'd got to work - I would like to try something different this year maybe full length tights or longs - what do you guys wear for your commute and what would you recommend?:biggrin:

gary r

Guru
i never find cold legs a problem & ride the whole winter wearing exte ondo long bib tights,I have a pair of Assos windstopper tights which i probably only used 4 or 5 times last winter.Over trousers make me sweat too much.

xroads

long padded winter leggings from Aldi are the biz. Hopefully they will have another lot on sale sometime this month, worth stocking up on if you can get your size!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
For the cold days, bib tights with some additional wind proofing panels help alot. My winter top only needs a single breathable undergarment. At present, cos I'm on the MTB, I'm commuting with cycling shorts, with trackkie bottoms on top (so I don't scare my new work colleagues and it's only 10 miles each way) come winter, normal bib tights under I think. When on the road bike, it will be the more wind proof tights (no trackies) though !

trio25

Über Member
I was looking at tights with windproof panels and wondering how much of a difference they make? I currently wear thermal tights throughout the winter and wasn't too cold last year. But then it never got really cold last winter.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Work supplied combined fleece/waterproof over coat, thermalite wooly hat and gloves, normal (thick, flameproof) trousers is what I used to wear.
Never had cold legs but the old gonads could catch it a bit on a really fresh morn !!

OP
OP
B

baggytrousers

Thanks for your replies, I was looking at some Lusso Max-Repel tights for £35 and wondered if anyone had any experience of these??

domtyler

Über Member
Most of the time I will just stick with shorts and leg warmers, I have a pair of thermal 3/4 length bibs and some full length windstopper thermal bibs for the really really cold days.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Aldi-Süd have winter cycling gear from today, so the UK must be in line as well soon, if not already. Their bib longs are excellent, but if you opt for tights, they must be just that, tight, or else you legs can freeze once you get at or below freezing. So the bib longs are good, but their non-bib longs which are otherwise the same, and supposedly the same size, are a bit looser and nothing like as warm.
I don't know if anyone else finds their stomach gets really cold once it gets below freezing, and I have found an angora back-warmer does the trick regarding this. Aldi and Lidl do these as well at the beginning of winter.
If this year's winter takes its cue from the summer, we will all be importing gear from Aldi-Siberia to keep warm.

domtyler

Über Member
Curiously, I have found the non-bib longs great over the past three years, whereas the bib longs fitted like maternity clothes.

That is just because of the size of your big belly surely?

Top Bottom