Winter Commuting MTB tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am currently using an old steel hard tail for my 15 mile round trip commute, because it's the only bike I own. Been running Swalbe Marathon Plus, been really happy with them but I'm getting a bit nervous now the temperature has dropped, don't really trust them. Should I just put my big fat knobbly off road tyres back on or is it worth buying winter Marathons? A lot of reviews on wiggle seem to suggest the studs just fall out.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I think a lot of people are happy with their winters, but i went with 26*2.00 Marathon Plus Tours on my old steel MTB and 700*40 on my hybrid. I really don't want to get a puncture when its freezing cold and theres plenty of glass where i ride, otherwise id have gone for the winters. The Tours roll similarly to the M+, but are much better on muddy stuff, they might not be any better on ice but by sizing up theyve got a pretty substantial footprint :smile:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I use m+ on my MTB. I have 1.75 inch tyres and find them just right. Not sure any other tyre is better on ice except studded tyres and I wouldn't ride them on my 14mile commute.

What makes you nervous about your M+? where do you ride - road or off road?

I use m+ on my MTB. I have 1.75 inch tyres and find them just right. Not sure any other tyre is better on ice except studded tyres and I wouldn't ride them on my 14mile commute.

What makes you nervous about your M+? where do you ride - road or off road?

Sorry, not replied to this sooner. The M+ make me nervous because I have spent most of my cycling 'career' offroad running 2.2 knobblies, so I'm not used to skinny tyres with little tread. I was fine with them when it was dry. My usual route is mixed canal towpaths, dedicated cycle path and B roads. I came off today on a big patch of ice hidden in a dip on the cycle track section. I don't think any tyres would have kept me upright. Fortunately I managed to throw myself onto the grass verge, no damage to me or the bike. Was quite a laugh really. Didn't have a helmet on so I cant say that it saved my life. I can reroute and drop the canal path and cycle path sections however its not practical, nor pleasant to go via A roads. I cant see that the B roads I use will be regularly gritted, and they are often very wet. If it gets too bad I'm gonna have to start using my four 225/45/17 Firestone cross plys... :eek:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
The M+ is a road based semi slick and I've also been nervous on muddy canal towpaths with it. For the type of surface you describe I would lean towards a knobbly with small knobs to make it easier on road.

The M+ is a road based semi slick and I've also been nervous on muddy canal towpaths with it. For the type of surface you describe I would lean towards a knobbly with small knobs to make it easier on road.

Yeah, thanks, think your right mate. I've got a set of 2.2 Maxxis off road tyres in the shed but they are bloody hard work on the road, especially after running the Marathons. I'll give them a go for now. The canal paths are well surfaced but there is a lot of leaf mulch around at the moment, a hell of a lot, even without the ice this stuff is horribly slippy.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You need Schwalbe Snow studs then. I've been using them for the last 3 winters and they have been excellent. They are also an off road tyre so cope in all weathers.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
How well do they roll on road though, obviously not as easy as M+ but are they easier going than an aggressive offroad 2.2 ?

They are OK, probably a little better than trail tyres as the tread is slightly less agressive. I can roll at 18-20 on them, compared to 20-23 on the fixed on 23mm, so not that slow.

They are an all round tyre, so charging down off road trails is still fine - I was doing just that this morning in fact, ice, mud, ruts - fine !

Top Bottom