Winter cycling clothes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mushroomgodmat

Über Member
I'm planning to do a lot of cycling over the next few months...I'm hoping to partake in a 200mile in a day ride in about 4 months. So...I need some advice on a decent winter gear for me to continue cycling over the comming months,p.

Up till now, when its cold iv simply warn doubled jerseys, a set of lower leg warmers, a pair of full finger gloves, and some over shoes.

But now it's getting cold, and wet. I went to halfords (I know...what do I expect) but everything they had was farly baggy, and large. I left the shop not knowing that's best.

Ideally...I'm looking for warmth, dryness, and not something that makes me look like the michelin man. Can anyone recommend anything?

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Firstly, stay out of halfrauds. Nothing good can come of it!

My winter kit:

Warm bib tights (DHB are good, it's possible to get away with bib shorts + leg warmers so long as they are gooood, for dry sportful norain gear is amazing)
A good (few) thermal base layers (top and bottom)
Mid weight long sleeved jersey
Water + wind proof shell jacket (can be stowed in jersey pocket if needed)
Beanie hat or similar (must go over ears)
A buff for neck and mouth/nose
Glasses (clear or orange to brighten things up)
Good gloves and inner gloves
Shoe covers

use the layers according to the temperature

rb58

Enigma
Check out merino wool base layers for warmth and freedom from nasty smells. There are loads out there. Endura BaaBaa are my current favourites. And it doesn't always need to be cycle specific gear. For example, I find M&S thermal socks ideal under a decent overshoes. Warmer than any cycling specific sock, including Sealskinz. In terms of top layer, I highly recommend the Gore Path jacket as it also packs down quite nicely.

Top Bottom