Winter cycling gloves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
About four years ago, I bought some Mountain Warehouse ski gloves, massively reduced (perhaps) in one of their sales. They seem to work.

Personally, I would steer well clear of SealSkinz.

Last edited:

simongt

Guru
SealSkinz appear to be very hit & miss. Some folk swear by them. My experience is of two pairs of 'waterproof' gloves - which definitely weren't, :angry: despite the second pair being supplied by SealSkinz to replace the first which I'd sent back as a complaint. :angry:

Big John

Guru
After suffering cold hands off and on for years I bit the bullet some years ago and bought a pair of Sealskinz Lobster gloves. I'm not suggesting you go for these (assuming they still do them) because they weren't cheap then so I doubt very much they'll be cheap now but lobster gloves in general I would recommend. I think the design helps to make them a warmer glove. If you want warm and waterproof then I've not a clue......in all the years I've cycled I've not found a glove that's properly waterproof. Even the Sealskinz let water in. PlanetX usually have lobster gloves in their sales.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I have never really found a solution to this till recently. I bought a Galibier quilted gilet which keeps my core very warm. As a result my body doesn't take blood away from the extremities and my hands and feet stay much warmer.

I've used silk liner gloves for a couple of years and these definitely help if combined with other gloves. £5-10 a pair depending on supplier.

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
Size guide.

I bought a new pair of Lined winter gloves as XL very comfy in shop.

BUT my thumb sits right to the end. Not a problem trying them on. This becomes wearysome on long rides as your weight pushes you further into the glove.

Also if you do plan to wear the 'silk' liners you need extra space. Yesterday was 'feels like 0". So went back to old falling apart gloves, plus inners. Lovely - even took the liners off after 10 miles.

Finally less expensive gloves don't breathe as well and your hands can become sweaty. Still it's better than too cold.

Alex321

Veteran
About four years ago, I bought some Mountain Warehouse ski gloves, massively reduced (perhaps) in one of their sales. They seem to work.

Yes I usually use my ski gloves when the temperature is below about 6C. They are pretty waterproof (not completely, but enough that my hands don't get wet in rain showers) as well as warm.

A pair of cheap Halfords cycling gloves when the temperature is roughly between about 7 and 12(ish), then thinner gloves when it is above that (rarely in the winter).

Top Bottom