Winter cycling shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zipp2001

Veteran
I decided to buy a pair of winter cycling shoes. I've used winter shoe covers for all the years I've been riding outdoors and have always kept my feet warm. They are water resistant not waterproof and at times I do submerge my feet in frozen water. So, after talking to the local bike shop and having a pair of Shimano mtb shoes for normal weather I went with the Shimano winter cycling shoes. They are wider which is what I need so that worked out well. Today on half day Friday I took them out for their first test ride of 3+ hours in 32-degree weather. Plenty of bike and hike in the snow and three flooded out trail water crossing and still nice warm dry feet. Looking forward to seeing how they do once the February freeze moves in, but very happy with the first test.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-IiyAW4m4c

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I tried everything for years before buying my Northwave winter cycling boots.

Here is my tip to save you money and make winter cycling more comfortable.

Stop trying things out to save money. Buy winter cycling boots.

Love my PX boots. Totally waterproof and fleece lined.

Although I was caught out in the most biblical rain the other week and they actually filled up with water because so much was running down my longs.

I had to empty them out in the sink at the cafe.

It takes a long time to dry them out properly but make sure you do or they'll still be wet a week later.

I'll only make that mistake once.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
They open enough, high instep here too. The main 'shoe' isn't much higher than a standard shoe around the ankle, with a neoprene cuff. The front flap opens out and you either release the BOA (on the new ones) or the strap.

Last edited:

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
Love my Fizzik boots

https://startfitness.co.uk/products...c0_6CXLX_GpmQogczbHl7JNdknprAi8hoCWh8QAvD_BwE

Zip fully undoes and foot slip is in. With an interior lace held by one toggle the take seconds not half minutes to take on and off.

Very comfy but never as tight on the foot as you can achieve with shoes- this is not however a problem for me.

I have poor circulation to my feet and have to wear two pairs of thick socks under the duvet at night. Last week did 66k when temp was 1degree in town and puddles in country lanes were still frozen solid. The boots do their job.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I got winter boots in 2003 for commuting, only just retired them. If I still had the cycle commute I’d keep using them. I’m liking the toe covers on my summer shoes, which I can leave in place.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Love my PX boots. Totally waterproof and fleece lined.

Although I was caught out in the most biblical rain the other week and they actually filled up with water because so much was running down my longs.

I had to empty them out in the sink at the cafe.

It takes a long time to dry them out properly but make sure you do or they'll still be wet a week later.

I'll only make that mistake once.

I got a bargain NIB pair off ebay. love them.

OP
OP
Zipp2001

Zipp2001

Veteran
Was out today in 11 degree (-11.66 Celsius) with 25+ mph winds (40.23 kpm) and the shoes with a pair of wool socks kept my feet nice and warm.

Snow Cat.jpg

Jotheboat

Dumb question here, please be gentle. Diabetic feet so Northwave look a potential for me.
But, they all seem to be solid soles. Are they suitable for MTB riding or just for clip-in pedals.

Top Bottom