Winter cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lola72

So I've just got my first road bike having used my husband's through the summer. Of course, now that I have a lovely new bike sat in my kitchen, the weather has completely changed and it has got me thinking about cycling through the winter. I've heard two people say they put their bikes away for the winter and then just read somewhere else that you shouldn't go out once roads have been gritted as this can muck up the derailleur. Whilst I am feeling a bit nervous about cycling on slicks in the damp/wet, I am really keen to cycle as much as poss through the winter so am after any advice on how I can do this a) safely and b) without trashing my bike. Any pearls of wisdom gratefully received.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
HI there and welcome to cycle chat.

Don't worry about grit in your dérailleur. Keep it cleaned and lubed and it will be fine. Don't do that and grit will soon eat the component's and not just the dérailleur.

As for slick tyres, the slicker the better on tarmac roads. It's what they are designed for. You will not aquaplane. Just be mindful of painted lines, metal drain & sewer covers and tram/rail line etc. Keep out of the gutter and away from them and you will be fine.

So stop worrying and get out on your bike, ride and enjoy.
There is no need to put a bike away for the winter, Just give it a nice clean & re-lube if it get's mucky.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
There isnt much to riding through winter. I have to commute through it (I dont have to but finances dictate it). There are some simple steps you can take to coping through winter.
  1. Wrap up warm: Take extra layers if you need to just incase the weather turns bad. Also consider your body needing to breath, a build up of sweat can be very uncomfortable.
  2. Dont worry about your bike getting dirty. I have to clean mine at last once a week when the roads get mucky.
  3. Take care on the roads: Plan more time into your journeys and dont take risks on corners. Also allow yourself more time to brake in the wet.
  4. Slicks can be a bit dodgy in the wet/icy conditions but just see point 3 above. Either that or get yourself some tyres with more tread on them.
Just remember, enjoy your ride and the new bike.

BSRU

A Human Being
Slicks can be a bit dodgy in the wet/icy conditions but just see point 3 above. Either that or get yourself some tyres with more tread on them.
Sorry this is incorrect, slicks for wet/dry roads, tread actually reduces the amount of rubber in contact with the road.
For icy conditions studded tyres are recommended, unless you are lucky enough to only cycle on always gritted roads.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
  1. Slicks can be a bit dodgy in the wet/icy conditions but just see point 3 above. Either that or get yourself some tyres with more tread on them.
Wrong Matthew.
Slicks are designed for tarmac dry and wet.
Ice is a different matter though.

Edit: cross posted with @BSRU

I've been on some rides with my teen kids lately, so my antennae are active...

Winter is fine for riding, but be aware of the following:

1. Mud. Here in the Three Counties, there is a lot of mud near field entrances at this time of year. Avoid braking, steering or doing anything too sudden on mud.
2. Grates and inspection covers. These are very slippery when wet or below freezing. Very, very slippery.
3. painted lines. These are also slippery when wet. Not just roadside lines, but Give Way broken lines which you might cross while braking or leaning...

Essentially, winter riding is as fun as the temperature allows it to be, but do be aware that grip is a variable function and that the winter produces conditions that can compromise it. Also, rim brakes may take a single revolution to skim the water off before biting.

But no reason not to ride.... so enjoy it!

OP
OP
Lola72

Lola72

Blimey, you guys are quick! Really encouraging advice - thank you.

I don't need to cycle (ie. for a commute) but am keen to get out as much as possible and at least this means I don't have any time pressures (ie. don't need to rush). Last year winter I went out fairly regularly on my hybrid so am OK with clothes/layering but was definitely stressing about the bike. I live in rural Somerset so it is more country lanes than busy main roads and so quite a lot of potential for heavy rain washing crap (like leaves, stones etc) off the fields. I think I just need to start doing it to build up confidence.

The advice about keeping bike clean and lubed is really helpful - thank you.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Wrong Matthew.
Slicks are designed for tarmac dry and wet.
Ice is a different matter though.

Edit: cross posted with @BSRU
Oh okay. I just figured as I have always experienced MTB tyres and 32c tyres in the wet give me more grip than slicks. It is probably just me though.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Oh okay. I just figured as I have always experienced MTB tyres and 32c tyres in the wet give me more grip than slicks. It is probably just me though.

32c can be slicks or can have a tread.
There is no need for a tread on a road cycling tyre, it's simply cosmetic.

Leodis

Veteran
Welcome :thumbsup:

I just got my first road bike as well about 6 weeks ago, I am still going to use it on dry sunny days but bought a commuter bike (steel frame) to handle my daily commute and maybe some wet weekend rides.

My advice would be to treat corners & road paint with more care when its wet.

When its bucketing down and people are dry in their tin cars and when the first cold drop of cold water runs down your head under your helmet and the uncanny feeling of cold water accessing your shoes just give the biggest smile and think least I am not stuck on the bus or in my car, I am freeeeeeee

ps. I may or may not do the above

screenman

Legendary Member
Welcome :thumbsup:

I just got my first road bike as well about 6 weeks ago, I am still going to use it on dry sunny days but bought a commuter bike (steel frame) to handle my daily commute and maybe some wet weekend rides.

My advice would be to treat corners & road paint with more care when its wet.

When its bucketing down and people are dry in their tin cars and when the first cold drop of cold water runs down your head under your helmet and the uncanny feeling of cold water accessing your shoes just give the biggest smile and think least I am not stuck on the bus or in my car, I am freeeeeeee

Here speaks a very experienced masochist.^_^

sreten

Hi,

Needless to say mudguards are a very good idea. Whilst slicks of any width
grip fine on wet roads, (wider = more grip), it is not true if any mud is involved,
or even loose sand or similar on wet roads, some tread is a bonus for that.

YMMV, tread on a road tyre is generaly useless and adds to rolling, but
can help in occasional adverse conditions, a little tread helps IMO.
Both my bikes I've got a slicker tyre on the rear than the front.

A front mudguard will also reduce the amount of crud thrown up onto the chain.

Personally I'm now riding my folder much more than the road bike, road bike
only if a nice day is forecast and I go out on a long ride. The folder I just use
as much as possible in pretty normal winter clothing, just a lot easier.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lola72

Lola72

I've been thinking about this and I think my strategy will be to use my new bike whenever the weather conditions allow and have my hybrid handy for when they don't. Sreten - mud is exactly the problem around here. If we had nice clean roads, then the wet wouldn't bother me but the reality is the lanes get really mucky (only have to glance at the cars to see that).

Top Bottom