Winter fitness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So how do you chaps that do high miles at the weekend keep your fitness up over the winter months with the darkness and atrocious wet winter weather we get. Or do you still get out in the weekday evenings regardless. I run through the winter months but thats a bit easier in the dark and wet than cycling I guess

Bayerd

Über Member
I just carry on regardless, the colder and wetter the weather the better for me, it's just wind I'm not fond of. I do as many miles through the winter as I do in summer.

Fiona N

Veteran
Global warming seems to be affecting winters in Cumbria so that instead of 6 months of murk (overcast days, rain, high humidity) we seem to get a catastrophic Autumn with horrendous rainfall then everything calms down by Christmas and the next three months are cold, dry and sunny (well, some of the time). It was notable that despite the snow last winter, I actually got out on a regular basis (I don't commute to work so must force myself out of the house voluntarily) - 3 to 4 days every week varying between a very hilly 30km and somewhat less hilly 80km, mostly around the 40km mark. So it's just a case of gritting your teeth during the Oct-Dec wet period.

I must admit that, as I work from home, it is possible to go out in the middle of the day to take advantage of the light and relative warmth, which might not be so easy if you work in a job where you have to be there 9 - 5.

montage

God Almighty
I'm beginning to think this "putting the miles in" over winter is a lode of bollocks and just a cycling tradition. Those riders I have seen put in hard work over the winter have excelled this season - every one of them. Yer take a couple of weeks off or take a month easy....but it is often the winter training which dictates how the average club rider's season goes.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm beginning to think this "putting the miles in" over winter is a lode of bollocks and just a cycling tradition.  Those riders I have seen put in hard work over the winter have excelled this season - every one of them.  Yer take a couple of weeks off or take a month easy....but it is often the winter training which dictates how the average club rider's season goes.
I found that a bit confusing at first. I thought you meant that it wasn't worth doing much cycling during the winter, but I think you are actually saying that we shouldn't just trundle along but should ride as hard in the winter as any other time of year in order to make progress?

My best summer ever came after riding hilly 200 km audax events up to November, then starting them up again in February, with short sharp hilly rides in December and January or intense 1 hour turbo rides when the weather was too bad to get out.

Each of my worst summers followed a long layoff in the winter (the winter just gone and this summer being a classic example).

montage

God Almighty
I found that a bit confusing at first. I thought you meant that it wasn't worth doing much cycling during the winter, but I think you are actually saying that we shouldn't just trundle along but should ride as hard in the winter as any other time of year in order to make progress?

My best summer ever came after riding hilly 200 km audax events up to November, then starting them up again in February, with short sharp hilly rides in December and January or intense 1 hour turbo rides when the weather was too bad to get out.

Each of my worst summers followed a long layoff in the winter (the winter just gone and this summer being a classic example).

Yer sorry that is what I was getting at - twas a bit of a thread hijack :tongue:

cannondale boy

Über Member
I use the turbo trainer if the weather is not all that good outside. If you have the space to accomodate a turbo i would recommend getting one. They do range from £100 - 500 so it depends on your budget. I usually use the turbo at least twice a week covering around 70 miles maybe more.

Nothing wrong with running, and it gets you to use all your muscles instead of using your legs all the time...it actually builds up your fitness and strength more, so when it comes to race days and long rides in the summer you won't lose any of the fitness through out the winter and you'll be like a spring chicken.

Listen to your body more in the winter than any other time of the year, because your more immune to colds and flus. I wouldn't exert too much either, you'll know what your comfort zone is at the end of the day.

I just kept going to work on the bike as the weather got worse, still better than driving.
I think there were 5 days when I chickened out since the 1st of Jan, mostly because of ice, but I fell off twice but just kept going

Someone once said to me 'Winter miles, Summer Smiles' and thats right for me, the first time I have carried the fitness through the winter and got to summer in great shape, not having to start all over again in loosing the weight and getting fit again.

jimboalee

I commute as much as I can, and I go to the gym.

Speed march, rowing and two 'hills' sessions up to 350 Watts all in an hour and a half.

Sauna and cold shower.

Its keeping those 'high' power sessions going that sets up the season's riding.

Top Bottom