Winter Fork

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ejls2

Hi all,

I've decided to swap to "Proper" mudguards on my commuting/winter bike and was hoping someone could recommend me a cheap fork with mudguard eyelets (current fork a) has not eyelets, and :biggrin: has a hole in it!)

I've looked at the ITM Visia Winter and it loks pretty ideal but I was wondering if anyone has any horror stories about it or can recommend something better. I think I should be able to pick one up for £45ish.

I don't know if it's relevant but I have an integrated headset which accepts a 1 1/8" steerer.

Cheers,

Ed

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby

OP
OP
E

ejls2

As I said, I'd like to swap to some proper, i.e. full length, ones. I think raceblades are alright but I'm going to be doing some very long audaxes in a very slow group so we're all getting full length guards to keep things as dry as possible!

i also need to swap the fork fairly soon courtesy of the large gash in the side of the carbon (unopened beer can thrown from oncoming car) so I may as well get one with eyelets.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
ejls2 said:
As I said, I'd like to swap to some proper, i.e. full length, ones. I think raceblades are alright but I'm going to be doing some very long audaxes in a very slow group so we're all getting full length guards to keep things as dry as possible!

i also need to swap the fork fairly soon courtesy of the large gash in the side of the carbon (unopened beer can thrown from oncoming car) so I may as well get one with eyelets.

Assume you're not still riding on it?

OP
OP
E

ejls2

You assume correctly, only happened on Saturday! Thankfully this happened within a few km from home so wasn't too much of a problem.

OP
OP
E

ejls2

At least it was only lager! :biggrin:

It was a very weird ride. 127km of wonderful, peaceful riding followed by the beer can incident and then being deliberately rammed by the wing mirror of a sports car in the space of 3km.

The beer can was bloody scary. When I saw it coming I assumed that it was empty, I still dodged but when it hit the fork, then the front wheel and then ricocheted up and just missed my head I realised it was full! I was doing about 20mph, the car was doing about 50. I really don't want to think about the damage that could be caused by a ~700g metal coated object travelling at 70mph.

The wing mirror was hilarious as we were in heavy traffic at the time so I just leaned down and offered to put the wing mirror back. Driver got very confused and almost apologetic in a very agressive way!

The ITM ones were retrofitted to a Salsa La Raza frame in a recent Cycling weekly winter frame test and I think its pretty universal that they're a good quality winter fork.

I've just bought a pair - but have yet to fit them to my winter bike.

OP
OP
E

ejls2

Brilliant, thanks for letting me know.

Which one did you go for? The visia or the 4ever (or whatever it's called!)

Top Bottom