1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winter Fork

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by ejls2, 24 Feb 2008.

1. ejls2

ejls2 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I've decided to swap to "Proper" mudguards on my commuting/winter bike and was hoping someone could recommend me a cheap fork with mudguard eyelets (current fork a) has not eyelets, and :biggrin: has a hole in it!)

I've looked at the ITM Visia Winter and it loks pretty ideal but I was wondering if anyone has any horror stories about it or can recommend something better. I think I should be able to pick one up for £45ish.

I don't know if it's relevant but I have an integrated headset which accepts a 1 1/8" steerer.

Cheers,

Ed

2. 4F

4F Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby

What about some sks race blades ?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDeta...0005894&N=SKS Race Blade Clip On Mudguard Set

3. OP
    OP
    ejls2

ejls2 Well-Known Member

As I said, I'd like to swap to some proper, i.e. full length, ones. I think raceblades are alright but I'm going to be doing some very long audaxes in a very slow group so we're all getting full length guards to keep things as dry as possible!

i also need to swap the fork fairly soon courtesy of the large gash in the side of the carbon (unopened beer can thrown from oncoming car) so I may as well get one with eyelets.

4. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Assume you're not still riding on it?

5. OP
    OP
    ejls2

ejls2 Well-Known Member

You assume correctly, only happened on Saturday! Thankfully this happened within a few km from home so wasn't too much of a problem.

6. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

unopened beer can?

madness!

seriously, that's shoot, sorry to hear that

7. OP
    OP
    ejls2

ejls2 Well-Known Member

At least it was only lager! :biggrin:

It was a very weird ride. 127km of wonderful, peaceful riding followed by the beer can incident and then being deliberately rammed by the wing mirror of a sports car in the space of 3km.

The beer can was bloody scary. When I saw it coming I assumed that it was empty, I still dodged but when it hit the fork, then the front wheel and then ricocheted up and just missed my head I realised it was full! I was doing about 20mph, the car was doing about 50. I really don't want to think about the damage that could be caused by a ~700g metal coated object travelling at 70mph.

The wing mirror was hilarious as we were in heavy traffic at the time so I just leaned down and offered to put the wing mirror back. Driver got very confused and almost apologetic in a very agressive way!

8. The ITM ones were retrofitted to a Salsa La Raza frame in a recent Cycling weekly winter frame test and I think its pretty universal that they're a good quality winter fork.

I've just bought a pair - but have yet to fit them to my winter bike.

9. OP
    OP
    ejls2

ejls2 Well-Known Member

Brilliant, thanks for letting me know.

Which one did you go for? The visia or the 4ever (or whatever it's called!)