winter gloves advice please...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DLB

I'm looking for a pair of winter gloves which have a gel type insert and so can be used on a road bike. I've seen the Altura winter nightvision gloves recommended on this forum. Anybody used these gloves or can suggest a suitabel pair?

Thanks

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Morning DLB, I have worn Altura Shield gloves for a number of years and cannot fault them.

col

Legendary Member
I have a pair of ski gloves,but i made sure they were a bigger size than was needed,the little gap between my fingers and the material was effective in keeping my fingers warm,I might try the silk insert too,as mentioned here.

Tynan

Veteran
tsk

put some effort in for god's sake

I'm still comfortable in bib longs and single thin long sleeve top

the people I pass plodding along in layers and layers plus coat are from another world

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Pah! I'm in shorts and a short sleeve (with a windproof jacket over, mind) :biggrin:

I find that on properly cold days my fingers get cold and stay cold though, regardless of how sweaty a lump the rest of me is. My solution so far is Altura glove liners under my cycling mitts. (I really like the padding in the BG comp mitts I have, so I'm trying to eke out as much of the year in them as I can).

Mortiroloboy

Specialized 'Deflect' glove, nice clarino palm, waterproof/windproof back, soft thumb wipe, velcro cuff fastener...My recommendation.

Tynan

Veteran
I do feel the cold in the extremities, circuation issues but my hands are fine in an ancient pair of Trek gloves with e gel long since released

cold toes today though in those lovely vented shoes, it's going to be either the overshoes or perhaps some of those toe cover thingys

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I never needed padding particularly on my straight barred bikes, but I greatly appreciate the BG gel on my drops. Could well be my technique, or the fact that I do more miles on them, but my hands used to cramp something terrible wearing my old chiba c3 mitts - no such problems with the BG comp mitts.

First day using the liner/mitt combination today (by chuff it was cold). Seems to work out pretty well.

John the Monkey said:
Pah! I'm in shorts and a short sleeve (with a windproof jacket over, mind) :blush:

I find that on properly cold days my fingers get cold and stay cold though, regardless of how sweaty a lump the rest of me is. My solution so far is Altura glove liners under my cycling mitts. (I really like the padding in the BG comp mitts I have, so I'm trying to eke out as much of the year in them as I can).

I use the gloves I use for skiing when the weather is really cold. They were sold as "Mountain gloves" and are of Goretex with a leather palm area.

Top Bottom